Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Infeed/outfeed table for Makita 2012

I've just bought a 2nd hand Makita 2012 thicknesser. Hope it is a decent machine...
    Haven't seen it in the flesh yet but I'm pretty sure this model raises the infeed and outfeed tables to a fixed cutter as apposed to raising/lowering the cutter head.

I would like to make an extended infeed and outfeed table for it but will need something that raises and lowers.

I have an old mitresaw stand with adjustable rollers that I think I'd like to modify and mount it on. Any ideas on how I might construct infeed boards that I can raise and lower with minmal fuss (and keep level)?

might be easier to raise and lower the thicnesser that way you're only moving the one thing

Instead of sleeping...I had a think about this.

Seems like the critical thing will be to keep extension tables level with the actual infeed and outfeed table.
    Physically attaching the extension tables to the actual tables on the machine will solve one end. The other end I think I'll simply rig up a measuring scale that corresponds to the scale on the machine. eg. if I'm making a pass at 150mm then I set the outfeed table height at 150mm.

Is there a need more for an infeed or outfeed table?

Ashes,

The Makita 2012NB is a great machine (i have one).

The cutter head is raised and lowered not the feed tables. So you don't have to build extension feed tables that raise and lower.

Steve

I think the 2012NB is the upgraded model. Mine is the 2012 which has the bed move up and down and the cutterhead/motor fixed in position.

Ashes,

Been away with the little ones (school holidays). Managed to have a bit of a look at the 2012 and yes it is the one where the table moves not the cutter head. Gave the problem to a group of lateral thinkers (guys i used to work with and they can come up with some pretty way out solutions are a few of the ambers).

Anyway one suggestion came up and that was why make the extended feed tables move, make the entire 2012 unit move up and down. Adjust the table to the required position then lower the unit to the position of the extened feed tables.

Lost sketchup (don't let 3yr old near computers) so i'll try and explain.

Two boxes with no lids that slide over each other. Use a car jack to raise or lower the top box to the desired height and then use some locking bolts to hold the two boxes together. Make sure the top box slides over the lower box that was shavings and dust don't affect the sliding operation. (Wax the boxes this will also help).

Hope this can help.

Steve