Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sound proofing for Theatres.

Hi,
    I you need to sound proof a room like a theatre etc. you may be interested in comparing the acoustic peformance of various plasterboard types, see the cost vs benefit.

We have added a new page in the tips section of our website to assist people choose a sound sytem that is cost effective.

Cheers Rod Dyson
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Anyone doing a DIY home theatre should spend some time reading the Room Construction forum at www.avsforum.com. Lots of handy tips on building a screen in the Screen forum there too. Built mine for $70 in an afternoon

For sound proofing I used 16mm firecheck + 10mm standard board on all walls and ceiling with insulation between the studs to reduce reverberation. Density is your friend when it comes to stopping sound and that firecheck weights a ton.

Not perfect but the best I could do given I didn't have the room for acoustic isolation using 2 stud walls. I can watch a movie at normal volumes and not be heard upstairs in an old Queenslander, which doesn't stop sound very well. If I turn the wick up it can be heard (especially the bass) but not enough to upset the neighbours. So that was mission accomplshed.

Cheers

sco

You are right there, Density is your friend and his mates are Isolation and absorbtion. You have the absorbtion in the insulation, isolation is preventing sound trasmission through direct contact of lining material.

Building a second frame is one method, of isolation, or using isolation clips and 16mm furring channel.

If you are looking at reducing sound in a gerneral sense use plasterboard that has the best density, check not only the price of the materials but the weight per m2. The heavier the board the better the acoustic performance.

Cheers Rod Dyson
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com