Default Help with Flik Mixer

I have a flik mixer in the shower, at least thats what they used to be called. Its the sort that you ony have one lever.

Its only about 4 years old and its started to leak copiously from the tap bit. I'm competent with ordinary taps but have no idea about these single lever doo dads.

Can I fix it? Replace a washer? Dont really want to pay a plumber (at Xmas) $100+ for a washer.

Any advice on how to fix would be very welcome. Cant see any way to dis-assemble the tap.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Sounds like you need a new cartridge, or simply just pull it apart, clean it, dry it out and re-grease it. This ususally gets a little more life out of them.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

To take apart

1. Look for the hot/cold decal on the tap handle, or a brand decal - usually underneath the handle.
    2. Pull it out with a stanley knife.
    3. Locate allen key head grub screw inside hole- undo this grub screw, put foot over drain hole because they are tiny screws that easily get lost.
    4. wiggle handle side to side and up and down gently with firm pressure away from wall, the handle will come off be aware that once loose it will fly off quite easily- Dont loose your balance.
    To inspect
    1. There may be a large retaining nut, there might not be, either way once you have removed the retaining ring you'll see a large plastic cartridge ( a plastic housing usually white)
    2. Wriggle the housing same as for the tap handle and gently but frimly pull out of tap body.- PS iM ASSUMING YOU'VE TURNED OFF THE WATER
    Inspect the cartridge
    1. Check the O-rings underneath, these can be replaced
    2. Check the plastic housing, is it cracked or broken in any way
    3. Check the body seal usually an O-ring around the sides of the housing ( sometimes these break, i've not seen it tho)
    4. Check that the locating pins for the housing ( that locate it in the tap body when pushed in) are still okay.
    If the housing isn't cracked, or there are no obvious faults that you can see...
    Call a plumber.. The reason for this is that if its leaking from the tap handle it probably isn't the ceramic discs and is more likely to be a sealing O-ring If you cant readily see the problem then it is likely to be any number of things. The cartridge is the most likely.

To get a new cartridge.
    • You need to go to a plumbing supplier to get a new one, or the tapware retailer for the brand you have. If it's a hardware store brand then go there.
    • Take the housing/ cartridge with you to match to your replacement.
    • The cost a fair amount Ie $20-$100 depending on the brand.
    Be aware that once you start messing with this thing it needs to be fixed that day, If you pull it apart it will leak worse if you just put it back together.

If you can't see a problem Try replacing the O-rings anyway, It'll cost you bugger all and is worth a try. I've had many that look okay but arn't
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Thanks guys. Its probably not a good time of year to do anything. If I stuff it not too many plumbers around on call.

I'll have a go after New Year.

Thanks again
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams