Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Removable car stop

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I'm posting it here. My workshop sits at the end of a garage which has to house cars as well as my equipment. Space is tight so there is fine tolerance for how far the car can go before it strikes machinery. I need a way to guide the car so that it will just stop short of machines. I can't hang a tennis ball from the roof as I've got metal rafters a fair distance across and the tennis ball wouldn't line up properly. Need something I can attach to the floor but also remove quickly when I need to use that space to roll out a machine onto so the Liquid Nails option is out. Anyone have a solution? It's mainly for SWMBO as I'm a very accurate parker .

You can buy heavy rubber speed bumps for this purpose. Can't remember where I saw them tho'. Maybe bunnies

Cheers
    Michael

If you have seen those tall fans on a stand - use something like the stand. Drive up to it until you nudge it then stop. When not using it roll it out the way.

I've simply put a couple of permanent marks on the floor and lay an 8x1 board across 'em - the board barely moves and you know when you hit it.

But I prefer Groggy's idea now that I've heard it: it'd mean I could use the board for woodwork.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Or just look round at some auto parts stores for this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/PARK-SMART-PARKING-YELLOW-ORIGINAL/dp/B0009XI4NI"]Amazon.com: PARK SMART PARKING MAT YELLOW (THIS IS THE ORIGINAL ONE): Automotive[/ame]

Cheers,

Bob

Park car in the right position. Suspend a ping-pong ball on a string from the ceiling so that the ping poing ball just touches the windscreen. In future, drive forward until the ping pong ball hits the screen. Ta-da - perfectly positioned with nothing on the floor to trip over.

empty two litre plastic milk container partly filled with sand
    1m long piece of 1in dowell
    piece of bright coloured cloth

nail cloth to one end of dowell
    bury other end in sand filled milk container
    pour in a about 1/2 litre of runny cement mix
    place on floor in "right" position
    mark outline with spray paint

drive car into garage and stop when front (or rear) nudges the flag pole

ian

All I use is a 300mm piece of 75mm angle inverted, just laying on the floor.

You soon feel when the front wheel rolls up against it. Its simple to do and remove, re-placing it back to the texta marks on the floor.
    Jack

What about a marker on the side wall of the garage that lines up with the edge of your window?
    "If something is really worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - GK Chesterton

If the only reason you can't use a tennis ball is that the purlins don't line up, run a line between tow purlins (presumably parallel with the car) and tie off the dropper using a clove hitch.

I've used chocks. (don't work, because they 'creep' forward)

I've used chocks bolted down with loxins, so that you can just undo a wingnut and leave the nut in the concrete. (too inconvenient to do up again, so end up being chocks - see above)

I've used chocks located with pins in holes in the concrete. (they move and twist eventually, and the holes will elongate and they end up being like unfixed chocks, and you now have pins in them so you can't relocate them.

I've used ping pong balls. Too light.

Tennis balls are the go!!

Work it out!

Cheers,

P

Thanks, folks, you've given me some ideas to try, sounds like I'm not the only one to have this problem.