Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Raising house 6 metres

Hi, My house is 2 metres high and I'm raising it another 4 metres.I,ve been reading through the previous threads but am finding that not many lifters go higher than 4 metres .I'm wondering if anyone has done this and how they went and if I could get some recommendations [ I'm in Redcliffe ].The house is 7 metre wide and 13metre long the garage will be on the ground floor [slab] then living areas and 2 bedrooms and bathroom directly under the existing one then bedrooms on the top floor. At the moment the existing slab is 450 away from the edge because the garage is narrower than the house so it won't be in the way of the footings which are to be 600 deep by 400 wide for brickveneer, the engineer has specified that the existing slab can stay but will need to be cut [internal rib]which is 300 wide by 400 deep then sand will need to be compacted followed by 0.2 polyethylene membrane then concrete , but I,ve been told it's better to start from scratch.I'm wondering if thats true. I would appreciate any feedback.Thanks

Surprising you got such a lift through council, Don't worry about the slab just do as the engineer says. I have never heard of a lift hight than 4 metres due to the equipment available. Why are you going so high. I used to do quite a bit of building in under queenslanders.

What a great way to completely stuff up a neighbourhood, as well as your own house!

There are only two reasons I've seen people trying to get that much height out of a house, they either think they'll get a great view, or they own earthmoving machnery (or a boat) and want to store it underneath.

Either way, you'd be better off moving to where there's a better view or buying a shed for your boat!

Next time you are near a three-storey block of flats, walk up two and a half flights of stairs, and see if you think you can live with that height between your living room and your bedrooms. If you can, thats' good, because you'll be living with it for long time.... no one else will want to!

Anyway..back to the question. Yes it would be better to start again!

Cheers,

P

6 metres my god, do your neighbours know about this. If you were my neighbour I would be objecting, just be aware that you may have some problems with this. Why not extend in other directions, that is a big lift.

The main reason for lifting so high is that there is no side access for a garage [10 metre wide block] and the main sewer is very close to the rear of the house we had to go through council for a relaxation it's been approved it depends on the land zonning.

You only need 2100 to get a land-cruiser through with racks on it!

You will be doing yourself a great favour if you move your house back and build a garage in front. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but you will devalue your house by at least twice as much as you are spending now!

Cheers,

P