Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HTPAA - Tool Sale July 22 2007

The Hand Tool Preservation Association of Australia Incorporated - MELBOURNE JULY Hand Tool Sale 2007 is only 15 days away, and I am saving my dollars, since last time was my first time I did not come prepared and I only had $15 at the time, still had some bargains. This time I am coming ready to buy, with a shopping list and money to spend.

So who will be coming, and at what time? Are you coming for something specific or just to browse?

Post Thanks / Like

Gday ts, young bloke & self will be attending, probably get there at around 9.30ish.

Will be wearing forum caps.

Not looking for anything in particular.

Cheers..................Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Scooter - Will keep a lookout for you. I will at the door by 8:30. I be wearing my blue jacket.

See you there.

Post Thanks / Like

G'day,

As said, I'll be there.

Looking for? some chisels and dunno what else yet until I see it, Some old Dawn F clamps or similar, but never seen anything like that, so probably just chisels.

I'll wear my cap, but you'd soon spot me. Height does that to me, lol.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Post Thanks / Like

Something has come up and I will not be able to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thumbsucker View Post
    Something has come up and I will not be able to come.
    G'day Helmut,

Bugger.

All the more for Scooter and myself to drool over and fight for.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Post Thanks / Like

Well I did make it - meet Waldo.

Got a few proper mortising chisels mostly socket and a bolster chisel, and a few finer pairing chisels. All with lots of length in the steel. Various makers however all Sheffield.

Bought a Stanley Rule & Level Company #53 spokeshave marked Stanley Patented July ?? 1858 on the Handle and the blade has a Trade Marks used during 1874-1884

I also got a French Peugeot draw knife (I was told that Peugeot was not a maker however a provence in France and all tools from that region was marked Peugeot just like Champagne). All up very nice. Missed out on a few extra items that I should have been more careful, - warning never put anything down because some bugger will buy it before you find it again.

Post Thanks / Like

G'day,

Ran into Scooter and Josh, who was counting chisels - 420 the little bloke said. And caught up with Thumbsucker, also had a long chat with a bloke next to me in the line as I waited outside for the doors to fling open.

Well my haul was nothing more than a Marples 1/2" firmer chisel - nothing flash about it just like it's ferrel and was nicely weighted .

Saw some Bergs, but the bloke in my opinion wanted to much for them. On another trip around saw a low angle block plane at the same table, "How much do want for that?", I asked, " $130", he said, "Not a prayer mate", and walked off.

Found a bloke selling some no.1 Sweet Heart Stanleys, I know why I love them so much, they're beautiful little things, so I had a good chat to him. One day maybe I might find one in the back waters somewhere at a nice bargain price and buy one - for investment.

Tha was my Tool Drool, lots of drool - but didn't really open my wallet. Gotta build my r/table and hopefully pick up a couple of K60s.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Post Thanks / Like

Gday

Did the usual pilrimage to the tool drool today.

Left home at 8am on a frosty morning, quick stop so the the kids could leave their footprints across a pristine frosted lawn

Got in to Hawthorn without incident, bride & the girls went shopping on Glenferrie, Josh & I headed in the the Glenferrie PS.

Bought a blowtorch, an adjustable bevel that is more the weight of an engineers square, a pair of ext spring calipers (can't have enough for turning ), and a doovah that looks like a fence off something but will serve as a depth guage for turning small vessels.

The last item were a handful of single & double flute cutters, look like they're for an industial dowelling or mortising machine. A couple still have the stamping "Kircher Leitzig) legible, which the best I could google up was an old German manufacturer of automatic & copy lathes. Thought they might be good steel for toolmaking.

Had a chat with Chris (Waldo) & he pointed out thumbsucker from afar.

Met the femmes & had a flat white & shared an award winning snot block & a piece of "Bailey's cheescake" at our 3 monthly usual visit - Picasso's cafe on Glenferrie.

Home james by lunchtime.

Good way to spend a beautiful clear Melbourne day...........cheers..............Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Post Thanks / Like

Bugger! I had this feeling all day that I've forgotten something - now I know what it was . Hope you enjoyed yourselves.

Post Thanks / Like

A disappointment today was the expense of carving chisels, I would really like to learn how to curve however almost all carving chisels even short worn ones were priced over $25 each, why are these so expense. Since I can get a normal chisel for as little as $3 -$15?

Next time I will become a member and come to the members only sale on the Saturday evening.