Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Leather Chesterfield Sofa Restoration

My father in law was a surgeon for most of his career, and when he moved he gave us his chesterfield sofa which was in the waiting room of his rooms. It's unlikely to be particularly old, probably 1960's. It's in reasonable condition, but hasn't been loved for many years - several years in storage and several years knocking around under our previous house under a tarp. It's now found a more loved home on our front deck.

There's some issues with the feet which I can deal with, but I'm unsure where to start with the leather. There are some scratch marks on the front of the seat, but mainly it seems to be complete. There is also some mildew, and plenty of dust and grit etc.

My plan of attack so far is to brush and vacuum all the rubbish out with an industrial vacuum. Then I'll clean it off with water and a weak washing up liquid solution. Once that's done, I should be able to see what it looks like.

So my main question, is what do I put on it to look after it? Some sites have suggested Saddle wax, others auto upholstery products. Any better ideas?

Photos will follow as soon as I find the cable...
    Cheers, Richard

"... work to a standard rather than a deadline ..." Ticky, forum member.

Pure neatsfoot oil. Use sparingly to avoid oily surface. Only suitable for darker colours as the oil tends to darken light colours. Will revitalise the hardest leather.

Thanks, I'll look out for some. I'm working in the country at the moment, so I might ask in the local saddlery store.
    Cheers, Richard

"... work to a standard rather than a deadline ..." Ticky, forum member.

clean it with a damp sponge(not very damp) after vacuming harvey norman have a leather lounge cleaning cream its about $60 or so it depends on what type of treated leather it is
    good luck