Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Coupla Clamps

Default Coupla Clamps

I'm in the middle of doing what I call chores (hanging blinds, restoring a tea trolley, and helping SWMBO with restoring a doubtful bookshelf) but managed to slip away and work on these 900 mm long clamps on the weekend.

The main frame is from timber from roadside council pickup pile - not really sure what it is. Wooden threads are tassie oak and handles are red gum. I thought they looked a bit dull so swapped the Zn plated length adjustments bolts for some home made brass ones.

Third picture shows the 2 6mm thick home made UHM Polyethylene washers that allow the bottom jaw to remain stationary while tightening.

Took longer than I thought but can probably make the next set a lot quicker.

I love them. Just a couple of questions:
    1. what is the diameter of the wooden screws?
    2. could you elaborate of the bottom jaw washers - in addition to the one below the bottom jaw, there seems to be one on its "top" (inner) face - so how have you attached the screw to the lower jaw and allowed for the bottom jaw not to rotate?
    Virtual Greenie on its way..(usual reason)
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Yep, love them too, wooden threads are a good look! I should do a search, but have you posted anything on their production?!
    I take it the brass bolt is removed and plugged into other holes down the length. Are the holes in the bar threaded, or the sliding jaw, to take the bolt?

Nice work Bob!
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Thumbs up

Those clamps look like they'd be a joy to use as well as to look at in your clamp collection!! The brass just adds that touch of class!!

Greenie fired

cheers
    Wendy

Thank you all.

I think the attached plans will answer some of the questions.

AM: I threaded the rod and tapped the hole using a Woodthread Cutter - I bought it in August in the US but I note Timbecon also now have these - search for WTB-050.

The thread diameter I used is 1". The die cutter works a treat on the Tassie Oak and you literally just wind it on as the wood shavings self clear. The tap into the redgum handle was another story. Keeping the tap straight at the start is hard and I basically mangled the first 3 threads. You also have to keep backing out and clearing the tap just like you do for a metal tap.

thanks for that info, Bob - all clear to me now.

BTW, I wonder if the thread cutters come in LH as well as RH thread - my overheated imagination is coming up with the idea of wood thread hand clamps
    Cheers

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    I wonder if the thread cutters come in LH as well as RH thread - my overheated imagination is coming up with the idea of wood thread hand clamps
    I too am very interested in a LH threading for wood but have not found anything specific to wood.

A few years ago I played around with metal cutting taps/dies in wood using LH/RH combinations but unfortunately the shallowish thread and higher TPI made very weak threads. I was only using crapiata at the time so I might have to revisit this using hardwood.

There are still many styles of hand clamps that cam be made using RH threaded rod, eg Sturdee's at http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ead.php?t=8265

I am in the middle of making some hand clamps using threaded wooden rod along the same lines as Sturdee's design incorporating the UHM Polyethylene washers. In terms of cost/m there is not a lot of difference between 1" tassie oak dowel and metal "all thread" but the construction is simpler because you thread the wood directly.

And, of course, the FWW article on wooden clamps which was mentioned in the recent thread on hand clamps has a way to make your own thread cutters

Bob - PM me with your email address if you want a copy (which another kind member sent to me)
    Cheers

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    And, of course, the FWW article on wooden clamps which was mentioned in the recent thread on hand clamps has a way to make your own thread cutters

Bob - PM me with your email address if you want a copy (which another kind member sent to me)
    An excellent article - thanks.

Clever bugger. Never seen that before.

Think thats just great mate.

Bob,

I just love that. Methinks that any would-be woodie should have, at least, a couple of these in his shed - if only to impress fellow woodie visitors. Actually, I could think of quite a few occasions where these might be preferable to metal clamps.

Thanks for the idea and diagram!