Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Kitchen cupboard finishes?

Like just about everyone else, it seems, we're looking at re-doing the kitchen.

It seems the options for finishing cupboard doors etc are vacuum formed vinyl or 2-pot polyurethane (or laminate which we don't want), with the vinyl considerably cheaper.

Anyone out there had bad experiences with either?

PS The quotes we've had so far are jaw-dropping, so think I'll let SWMBO absorb the shock then put my price in.

Right this is coming from someone who has personally painted several thousand sq meters of kitchen doors & panels in 2-pac poly-u........

Depending on your environement the vinyl can be no good. Simply in hotter more humid climates the adhesive thats used tends to delaminate. Hence why all cabinet makers I dealt with over the years basically refused to use it, but this was Nth Qld.
    I also actually wanted to get away from doing 2-pac poly-u and looked seriously into investing the dollars into a machine that did the vinyl wrapping but after serious research and very serious market research I kept my hard earned dollars in my pocket.
    Now down south here where I have moved its a different story.

Frankly if you can afford it, go 2-pac poly-u. Theres heaps of special finish's available now days including textured surfaces and pearls metalics etc and yes you can get matt finish as well, I prefered the matt finish's when I did them.

Anyway, do your own research. Ring around and ask as many questions as possible.

keep in mind both surfaces can be damaged and both are VERY difficult to have repaired, don't let anyone tell you ones worse than the other to repair....that ain't true in my experience....

I won't give you a guide on what I was charging, cause paint prices flucuate and price is also area dependant, you know buyer demand vs supply.

ANYWAY...HTH

Cheers!

Thanks Shane, thought I might get some wise words from you. I'll be using laminate in areas where there's any heat or moisture, & think I prefer to go the poly if $$$ permit.