Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOBART WWW Show

Default HOBART WWW Show

U & Beaut are currently in Hobart. From our room we are looking out across the Derwent River to a cloud shrouded mountain, peaceful, scerene and b... cold, yet pretty close to the Cadbury factory (yummy tour coming up). We set up today for the WWW Show.

We are on Stand 29 and will be running constant demos on turned and flat finishing or at least until the demonstrator (that's me) runs out of energy and falls in a screaming heap mumbling take me home, take me home.

Best of all........

Everything will be discounted..... EVERYTHING.

:mad: WARNING :mad:
    Make the most of it. Everything will be going up pretty soon as we have just been hit with a 30% price rise on all new shellac and a 25% - 30% price rise on almost everything else, including all plastic containers, most solvents, many waxes, and in general almost everything that has anything to do with petrol. IT WILL MOST LIKELY GET WORSE in the months to come.
    Even so, if you want to buy anything from us at the show, and you bring along a pic of Woody (shown below) and you will receive an extra 10% discount off our already discounted prices.
    (Rotary Sanders and Glow Special not included)

We look forward to seeing many of you at the show. If we don't see you, have a really good one anyway and try not to melt down the plastic.

Cheers - Neil

Hi Neil

I would LOVE to come down to see you, but locked in a camping trip LONG ago (sigh). Still, if it really rains.......

Wil you guys be coming to the Launceston show next year?
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

Neil,
    I and the boss will be at the show on Friday. Actually she is taking me out shopping for my birthday. Lunch at Prossers (Seafood eatery) on Saturday, ah! what a life. Will do some prospecting at the show and maybe go back on Sunday and collect.
    TassieKiwi,
    Camping!! bloody camping ??? while the woodwork show is on. Must be a hot chick?? or you know where the trout are biting??? So tell me, where are they biting?
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

Default Tasmanian WWW Show

Met U & Beaut again today while setting up. Maate, after the trip to Cadbury's tomorrow, you will be so full of energy from all that chocolate, you'll be able to demonstrate all weekend, particularly if you get a couple of 5kg boxes.

Neil, you need to call it the Tasmanian WWW Show, otherwise those northerners might get their nose out of joint and not come down. Funny lot those Northern Tasmanians (I can say that since I saw the light and emigrated south 29 years ago).

Call in and say hi to me in the foyer to the left past the ticket office, I'll be on the Woodcraft Guild Tasmania's stand, might even demonstrate some pen turning using Ubeaut's EEE and Shellwax if I can get near our lathe.

regards

Kev M

Default Tasmanian WWW Show Day 1

Completed the set up on the combined Woodcraft Guild's stand before opening at 10:00am, met Badger and PTC. Good to put some names to faces. Hope to see some more members of the Bulletin Board at the show over the next two days, I'll be on the combined Woodcraft Guilds' stand to the left inside the main foyer.

Kev M

This show stays in a similar timeframe, I can see me and 'Er indoors visiting her rellies in the Snug (Tassie of course)...of course after spendin' time regaling ,Chris U & Beaut with a load of W.A. vernacular...or bulldust ..whatever.

Be an opportunity to visit the rellies of course via Jeff's Shed providing those Victorians dont rip all me hard earned off of me with all the goodies they'll have there!

Hope you'se all ava great time

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Unhappy

Day one is over and many of us haven't even made enough to pay for the boat trip across. Come on all you Taswiegins pay a visit and support the many exhibitors who have paid out thousands to try and make this a great show for you.

You may never get another chance to do this again if you don't support this one. At 5:00pm they announced over the speakers that the show was closed for today and one exhibitor was heard to say "Did it open, strewth..... I must have blinked???"

Come on Tassie, you can do it. Get up and come to the show on Saturday or Sunday. It isn't the biggest but there certainly is a heap of good stuff to see including FREE woodturning seminars by Richard Raffan and Bruce Bell along with others by Roger Gifkin, Les Miller, Neil Scobie and others.

Cheers - Neil

Neil.
    How did it end up.?
    have been waiting to see if there was any feed back
    it cost me an arm and a leg to go.
    dog in kennels
    pricey motel etc you know who [shopping in town and a trip to Salamanca Market.]
    and spent $350 at show.
    regards.
    ptc
    p.t.c

What did you get PTC?
    - Wood Borer

Shellawax glow and sanding discs from Neil
    and the Razortip pyrograhy m/c for ??????.
    ptc.
    p.t.c

PTC,
    I understand from talking to the organisers after the show, that they intend to schedule another one next year, at that stage no dates had been confirmed but either two weeks before or two weeks after the Melbourne show, which will be held earlier in October next year.

Some exhibitors were really happy, Roger Gifkin was taking orders for his dovetail jigs by lunchtime Sunday as he had run out. From the Woodcraft Guild of Tasmania's viewpoint, more than happy with the interest in the Guild shown by the general public, the next couple of months should tell if the interest translates into new members.

regards

Kev M

Let's hope the show will continue in Hobart and the Guild attracts new members.
    - Wood Borer

Yes i was there, now back in Qld.

I bought the new turning sander bizzo and some new glow shellawax.

very happy, good show good time.

cheeeers

Wood Borer,
    The reason for the Woodcraft Guild of Tasmania's involvement was to showcase the Guild to non members, prospecting for new members so we did set out to sell items, just showing a variety of items ranging from furniture to small items.

I'll try and post a photo when I can work out how to reduce it in size.

regards

Kev M

ptc - We went to the show expecting to lose around $6,000 - $7,000 as it was we only lost around $4,000 so all in all we had a reasonably good show. We did get a number of new users for our Tas distributers and got a lot of people sorted out with their application process (no more steel wool for a lot of people). So hopefully there will be more sales over the next 12 mths generated from our visit.

We will need to think very carefully before going to the next one. If you don't get heads through the door you don't make many sales, I would be very surprised if there was more than 5,000 genuine visiters to the show, many were there for 2 or 3 days which bumped the numbers up.

Roger Gifkin had a really good show as Kev said so did a couple of others but that wasn't the norm. Most would have made a loss or barely covered their expenses including the organizers who made a loss of many thousands of dollars. Maverick Industries were still waiting for their show stock to turn up on Sunday after the show was over. It never did.

We had a week off to have a really quick look around, so that was a bit of a bonus. (first thing that almost passed for a holiday in 18 years)

Cheers - Neil
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes around 40 seconds!
    Register to get rid of the annoying ads, plus you are able to participate, see all the posts, photos, pdf's, and more.