Default Question for Admin'

Hi
    I was wondering what is the BB policy regarding the use of smillies, I have seen some that are BIG and animated.
    I know its all band width, but how big is too big.
    Cheers, Allan

Allan - If we have to use scroll bars to view it then it's getting a bit big and there could be trouble.

Otherwise Ir really doesn't matter all that will slow down is the loading time of the smilie, not the rest of the posts in a thread.

Cheers - Neil

PS Don't know what it is but something other than smilies is certainly slowing down the BB thismorning.
    Last edited by ubeaut; 25th January 2004 at 08:39 AM.

..... ...

Jack the Lad.

Neil,

My experiences this morning lead me to believe that there was a problem with the BB (vBulletin) application.

The following is what I believe happened this morning. I'll try to make this understandable to those of you who aren't computer geeks. This could be entirely fanciful because I have very little information and it will certainly bore the sh*t out of most people ('cept us computer geeks).

All of the threads and replies on this BB are stored in a database. When a person looks at a thread the BB software gets a connection to the database and via that connection it reads the information from the database and then makes a web page and sends it back to the users browser for display. Instead of getting a brand new connection each time it needs one it uses a pool of connections and when the BB software needs one it gets it off the pool and when finished it puts it back. Software such as this BB do this to make things go faster. Typically an application like this might have 50 connections in the pool. I believe the BB software had problems when it was displaying pages and didn't return the the connection to the pool so the pool was getting smaller and smaller. When someone looks at a page and the BB software wants to get a connection from the pool and one isn't available it will wait for 60 seconds (usually) and then complain and say it can't get one. This is the message that I got this morning. If there was a small number of connections then every request to look at a thread would need to wait which would make the BB very sluggish. Also, there was another post today that said some of the counts weren't being updated correctly. This would be consistant with a problem with the BB software.

Did the server get restarted? If you did then I'm convinced I'm right if not please ignore this and everything else I say (which is probably good advice anyway).
    Photo Gallery

Forget about all that, where do I get the ace smilies and how do I put em into a post?

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

I have 256k download, and a 19 inch screen.

No such thing as 'to big'

Ben

Dan

have a look at

http://www.smileycentral.com/

Thanks FAB,

I've all ready downloaded that but can't get it to work on this BB. Ozwinner gave me a link to another site that I hope will work for me.

Dan

Dan - This is a smilies page I put on for users of this BB you will need to bookmark the page to use them https://www.ubeaut.biz/smiles.htm all you need to do is cut the code that is along side the smilie you choose then past it into your post where you want it.

Cheers - Neil
    56 Rock n Roll rebel....... Too old to die young and too young to be an old fart. Guess I'll just keep on rockin' and refuse to grow old gracefully.

Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes around 40 seconds!

Last edited by RETIRED; 29th January 2004 at 11:07 PM.

John

Your chainsaw is running backwards....beware of the kick back mate.....bloody dangerous stuff!

Cya

Smile