Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions on stainless kitchen appliances

Looking at up grading our kitchen oven, hotplate ,range hood just after feed back on stainless ,I have herd that it is hard to keep clean even the newer no finger print finish .Let me know in your reply if you have this type of cooking appliance or its an opinion any thoughts will help.

Zendo

As a chef I say go for stainless steel. But be aware that kitchen companies use a thin gauge S/S. I have recently upgraded my kitchen and we used 1.5 mm S/S and we are very happy with the outcome.

Yes it does 'finger up' quickly but to help slow this down we use a stainless steel polish, more of a spray and wipe style of application and we follow this with a thin film of oil, we use a commercially available one. But this does only slow the process down. A quick wipe with any cleaner will do the job not as well but will help.

We have a 900mm oven from Italy (IAG brand) it is S/S, dishwasher is brushed iridium, and our countertops are patini (a cheaper version of corian) it has seamless joins and we also used it as splashbacks too.

I think the most useful advice you can be given is BENCH SPACE you can never have too much and DRAWERS plenty of them. The only cupboard we have is under the sink.

Hope this helps

Pete

I reckon it depends on the style of kitchen. I like stainless appliances but the finger marks don't bother me at all. The non-marking variety looks like a silver paint finish to me, but I am sure there must be other stuff out there that works. Personally, I think major kitchen appliances are bloody outrageously expensive these days - saw one stove at the Melbourne home show - sure it was nice, but at $25,000 they can shove it....... just crazy.

For 9.95 you can get two back-issues of Kitchen and Bathroom quarterly from your newsagents ..... that might help you find the more knowledgeable sellers in your area....... BTW couldn't you state your state in your description to the left?

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy
    Zendo

As a chef I say go for stainless steel. But be aware that kitchen companies use a thin gauge S/S.
    Hope this helps

Pete
    I dont know really if that is true ,kitchen benches are very used and need to be as durable as possible as well as meeting the as code for food preperation surfaces .when i do s/steel tops i always quote on 1.2mm thick food grade stainless ,i loose some but then again i dont have the callbacks that the cheaper tops will generate
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Sorry arms I said that in a bad way....

What I meant to say is that some of the kitchen companies do use a lighter gauge S/S to keep their quotes down. I find the lighter stuff to be less apropriate due to its ability to 'wobble'.

I like solid stuff and if that means it costs more then so be it.

Again apologies.

Pete

We've just a few weeks ago put in a SS wall oven, Cerapol make a product for SS that does wonders for cleaning and keeping the finger marks down, very happy with it. They also make a cleaner and sealer for the black glass top type of hotplate, thoroughly recommended.

We've got a SS underbench oven and rangehood (only a small part of the rangehood visible most of the time). I can't say I've had much problem with fingerprints, a good wipe over with a warm wet cloth, and then a quick buff with a dry cloth.

I really like the look (even though it will probably date), and in some models choosing that finish didn't make much difference to the price.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by zendo
    Looking at up grading our kitchen oven, hotplate ,range hood just after feed back on stainless ,I have herd that it is hard to keep clean even the newer no finger print finish .Let me know in your reply if you have this type of cooking appliance or its an opinion any thoughts will help.
    If you got kids then the answer is

Noooooooo!

I second that "Not if you have kids" reply. Nuthin' shows boogers off as well as brushed stainless steel.

We have a completely s/s kitchen, including small aplliances and even the peelers, corkscrews, tongs etc that hang on a rack. Well, I'm lying a bit, I sprayed the fridge with 'hammered pewter' paint to convert from white to s/s look.

It all does show up fingerprints but the modern cleaners (bit exxy tho) minimise this.

Generally with all the stuff flying around the kitchen, two dopey kids, a domestically challenged and miltantly feminist HI, two dogs, a tame pigeon and all their friends, a solitary finger mark is laughingly inconsequential.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

About 90% of the appliances I sell are stainless. The sprays you can get not only clean but will form a film which minimises (not eliminates) fingermarks. DO NOT spray any cleaners directly onto the oven surfaces, they can damage the seals. Spray onto a cloth and wipe on. The component of these cleaners which hardens (I think it hydrolises, like Walnut Oil which I have been told also works on stainless) is actually the same stuff as in WD40. Doesn't smelltoo good if you use this though.

I have stainless appliances and I am very happy with them. When my grandaughter visits I just accept there will be cleaning to do!

Cheers,

Mark
    silkwood

If you like stainless then buy stainless, if it gets dirty wipe it down - same rule as any stainless surface - no big deal.
    Stainless steel, fingerprints, boogers (and other bodily fluids??); :confused:
    It's a kitchen, not an episode of CSI.

Thanks for the feed back ,but (there is always a but) in my first post I only made reference to the finger print finish I not worryed about finger prints more the cleaning aspect of the stainless as with a white finish it is quite easy to clean , some stainless surfaces can be cleaned but still look streaky.

We have had all stainless steel appliances for over five years now and they look almost as good as new. Warm soapy cloth most of the time works well, but sometimes it doesn't. Then just use a stainless steel cleaner spray (still on the original can of 3M stuff). This cleans like magic and then just buff with a rag and it's back to new.

Don't use scourers or other abrasives unless you want an industrial look.

Have a quick go in the shop. Press a few greasy fingers on the brand in question, if it doesn't clean off with a few wipes of a hanky, then it's cheap and nasty.

Zendo,

We have had SS appliances in our last two homes. A friend of ours who is a chef told us just to take a nice clean cloth, wet it with mineral oil and just wipe the SS with it often. Keep it in a plastic bag and it lasts for months. Works a treat!
    Cheers,

Bob