Default Management Interview advice

Hi

I have an interview in a few weeks for an EL1 position with a govt dept.

I am fairly confidant I can deal with most of the questions but am I bit worried about one of the selection criteria which reads;

High level management skills with the ability to train, motivate, counsel and develop staff to achieve high quality outcomes as well as demonstrated experience in the management of financial and physical resources in line with program objectives.>>

Management style and thinking seems to change constantly and I was wondering if any managers out there no what the current style is supposed to be.

I was going to stick to the one big team working together for a common goal theme but dont know if this is right.

Sorry this is a bit boring on a friday but any advice greatly appreciated.

cheers

Mr Dazzler

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I read it but what is it saying, I have a book at home called 'Death Sentence'.
    It makes an attempt to solve these riddles as well as offer up a few more guvment generated ones.
    The mind does boggle at times, to think someone dreams up these non explanatory descriptions.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler View Post
    Hi

........;

High level management skills with the ability to train, motivate, counsel and develop staff to achieve high quality outcomes as well as demonstrated experience in the management of financial and physical resources in line with program objectives.>>

Please note, that if this is a criteria, you will most likely be asked somehting along the lines of: "please tell us an instance in your previous employment, where you trained, motivated, counselled and developed your staff" (ie succession training, developing your staff for promotion / progression to other jobs) and if it is financial, then you may be asked to demonstrate your ability to read and understand and react to data contained (often very obscure) within financial statements. The program objectives part, relates to whther you are willing to tow the party line, or whether you are a rebel, wanting to change the world.

Sorry, there is no explanation, but maybe you may be able to read between the lines and come up with suitable answers, if you know how to get around the question. You may start the answer, and turn it around to a question that will help you continue

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler View Post
    High level management skills with the ability to train, motivate, counsel and develop staff to achieve high quality outcomes as well as demonstrated experience in the management of financial and physical resources in line with program objectives.
    This is a common criteria.

High level management skills: They are looking for you to provide detail of management expertise at the ASO6 or EL1 level (or equivalent). Strategic thinking examples are a big plus.

...with the ability to train, motivate, counsel and develop staff to achieve high quality outcomes: give some examples of how you have used training/counselling etc to develop your staff to a point where outcomes have improved or been favourably noted.

...as well as demonstrated experience in the management of financial and physical resources in line with program objectives. This is looking for budget preparation, skills with the financial packages (ROMAN etc), audit awareness, corporate governance, staff selection and recruitment experience, asset management and tracking under the guidelines of the department to achieve corporate goals.

This may include Equity and Diversity, Fraud and Ethics etc. If you want more detail send me a PM and I may be able to assist with a recent example.

As a guide, at this level I would expect approximately a page response for each criteria. There should only be three or four of them; if there are more it indicates the area is not up to date on developing position criteria.

I was thinking that you could just cut and paste your earlier post in the "Who want's to be cop thread"

Seriously though, I worked for Workcover early on in my career and was shown how to apply for the job by an insider. The most important thing for the interviewers is that they must be able to tick off every listed criteria (if you can decifer it).

So in this case, the first part of the interview process is demonstrating an ability to talk and understand vague management phrases.

BTW- I found the Public Service so far removed from the real world, but thats another story. Must admit though, that the 9 day fortnight and the workload was a dream compared to what I encountered thereafter.

Sounds like bringing up rug rats...
    Good luck with it mate. Is the job based in Hobart perchance?
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Whatever you do, don't give them your username here. Use someone responsible, like Gumby or Zed

Richard

Thanks all,

This one is not in Hobart but a bit closer to home.

I think I will use Wild Dingos username. Relaxed, safe with drill bits, straight to the point kind of bloke

Thanks all

Hi Dazz,

Maybe a bit late and maybe a bit basic for what you might be looking for and maybe this is 'understood' but I've come across a few people whose eyes boggled when I told them this

I've always followed the very simple but effective rule of : Yes I can do this and here's x number of examples to show how well I've done that and hence, met that particular criteria.

Good Luck
    Wendy