Default Two quotes, two different suggestions for my floor..Confused..

Hi everyone,
    I have a small 50m2 room which has been laid with 80x19mm Boral brown barrel (Eucalyptus fastigata). What I am after is a satin finish to reduce the 'plasticiky" look of a shiny floor. The first sander/polisher that came suggested Toby Unithane with a satin finish. It will be 3 coat finish and the cost was $25m2. According to this guy the Toby Unithane has the best satin finish and will be quite hardy.
    The second polisher that came suggest a two-pack finish on the bottom and then a top layer of Feast Watson (can't remember the full name of the product line) satin finish on top. According to him Toby Unithane didn't come in a satin finish and in general Toby doesn't have a lot of industry support. His cost was around $40m2.
    So I am a bit confused. What do people think is a good product for a satin finish? My building supervisor suggested tung oil...not too sure if this is a good idea or not...appreciate your input.

Ray.

I suggest you go with the Toby Unithane guy.

The second guy, from the sounds of it, is suggesting two different companies products to finish your floor with (I'm pretty sure Feast Watson don't make a two pac) which means that if anything were to go wrong neither of these companies will offer any support, as none of them will stand by their products if the sander puts one on top of the other.

I just finished 4 rooms in the house. The finish was Toby AquaMax 2 pack Water based Satin finish. It was recommended by a member here and I am happy with the result.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Go with Toby product.

It is up there with the best.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

His cost was around $40m2.
    tell him he is dreaming.

no problems with toby in general, that being said i have got a pallet of it on the back of my ute right now worth about 5k of the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo View Post
    I just finished 4 rooms in the house. The finish was Toby AquaMax 2 pack Water based Satin finish. It was recommended by a member here and I am happy with the result.
    Hey cuz, any pics

Pics of the house???????

i wanted to see pics of the pallet on the ute

Cheers utemad

Quote Originally Posted by UteMad View Post
    Pics of the house???????

i wanted to see pics of the pallet on the ute

Cheers utemad
    You and me both.

Plus, I wanted said Ute to be parked in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry McCully View Post
    Hey cuz, any pics

Here it is Larry

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...3&postcount=21
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

You could always go nuts and put a wax on it. Looks fantastic in Satin or Matt.

Costs a lot though - about $50 per sq m. and you need a floor sander who has done it before as it requires a whole new level of sanding.

Check out the gallery:

http://www.whittlewaxes.com.au/gallery.htm#matttallow
    http://floorsander.blogspot.com/

extracare(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au

Thank you all for your great ideas. The Toby unithane product sounds like the way to go. Extracare, I do like the look of the wax finish which I saw at the Tait showroom. Just need to consider the costs though as that will double my sand/polish price.

Do you know how hardy a wax finish is compared to something like th Toby product? I know the advantage of waxes is that you can just reapply for certain spots and not redo the whole floor. But it would be a pain if I had to do it too often.

Cheers,
    Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by rzkman View Post
    Thank you all for your great ideas. The Toby unithane product sounds like the way to go. Extracare, I do like the look of the wax finish which I saw at the Tait showroom. Just need to consider the costs though as that will double my sand/polish price.

Do you know how hardy a wax finish is compared to something like th Toby product? I know the advantage of waxes is that you can just reapply for certain spots and not redo the whole floor. But it would be a pain if I had to do it too often.

Cheers,
    Ray.
    The wax finishes look fantastic.

My wife scratched it by simply dragging her finger nail across it.

The Unithane will serve you much better in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    You and me both.

Plus, I wanted said Ute to be parked in my garage.
    to late half the drums are on site and i now have 14 10ltrs and 2 2oltrs of sealer in my garage next to 5 boxes of synteko classic and 5 5 ltrs of bona traffic.

i take a photo if you really want, if that floats your boat you should have seen when the stack of flooring on site we had 20 packs delivered in one go, we have our own telehandler to move the packs around and pick up the half packs when the boys have finished laying a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    to late half the drums are on site and i now have 14 10ltrs and 2 2oltrs of sealer in my garage next to 5 boxes of synteko classic and 5 5 ltrs of bona traffic.

i take a photo if you really want, if that floats your boat you should have seen when the stack of flooring on site we had 20 packs delivered in one go, we have our own telehandler to move the packs around and pick up the half packs when the boys have finished laying a house.
    That's a fairly impressive product list there, Gaza.

You must be clicking over the bucks like a little champion Good on ya.

It's a tough gig the flooring game, I reckon, and anyone willing to give it a go ('specially at your volume) deserves every dollar they earn.

I just did a recoat on a house that had 2 kids and took no special care of their wax floor.

There was a lot of wear around the high traffic zone in the kitchen, but other than that it looked pretty good. It had been done about 2 years ago.

It definitely isn't as hard wearing as other products but it looks good as it wears if you get my drift.

It is definitely not the most practical choice as far as wear goes, but it looks good, feels good and gives you lots to talk about, because everyone wants to know more about it.

The other option is a water based finish. Bona Traffic looks great over darker coloured floors and has a very good satin.

Here it is over Jarra and Tassie Oak for a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by rzkman View Post

Cheers,
    Ray.

extracare(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au