Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Edge Trim for Splashback

Looking for help/thoughts/ideas.

We recently had our glass splashback installed in the kitchen. Looks great, but unfinished!!

As our bulkhead was not square, our tradie installed the glass but there is a 'gap' between the glass and the bulkhead (ranging from 0mm to about 9mm). Can't leave it like that!

There are no overhead cupboards, so it is hard to disguise/hide the gap that way.

We were looking at placing some sort of trim around the top edges, preferrably in a 'stainless steel/brushed aluminium' look.

Our tradie dropped off some SSteel angle trim (??-not sure about this look though).

Before he comes back to 'install' it, does anyone have any other ideas?

We did see some self adhesive 'chrome' looking flexible decorative trim in Bunnings which thought might work, but for some reason, although it was on display, we were told they were 'not allowed to sell it'. Something about taking trade away from other suppliers/?/??

Anyway, not completely convinced about the angle trim, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers

That's pretty crap... you would have thought he would make a template first before cutting the glass so it would take into consideration all the out of squareness.
    Is it an option to remove the plaster at the bottom of the bulkhead, and then pack it out and replaster it? Just a thought

As encino said the glass should have been cut to fit, at the inflated prices being charged for glass splashback's I would be telling the "tradie" to come and replace it

I am having trouble picturing this, but I guess it means the bulkhead isnt level on the bottom, and the splash-back, being 'square' appears out at the top. is it possible to but something at the base of the splash-back, 'slot' the back of the bulkhead and slide the splash-back up into it?

I thought glass splashbacks were made from toughened glass....? I don't think it can be cut once its made, but I could well be wrong.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Quote Originally Posted by encino_ View Post
    That's pretty crap... you would have thought he would make a template first before cutting the glass so it would take into consideration all the out of squareness.
    Is it an option to remove the plaster at the bottom of the bulkhead, and then pack it out and replaster it? Just a thought

You know what? That's exactly what I said to my husband, 'didn't he measure to allow for this?'

As it turns out, we got the dirts with it on Saturday morning and ripped the whole bulkhead out. Hubby replaced it, and re-installed it so that it sat flush with the top of the glass. He also trimmed the S/steel angle and used it as a vertical trim on either side. For a soldier, he did a much more professional job!!!

Not something that you would expect you would have to do, after paying the dollars. Getting a tradie back nowadays to fix their 'error'? I would be waiting a hell of long time.

MADRAT
    Starting over sounds like the right move. Some of the words you use to describe features and products are quite different then what we use here but I think I get the picture. Are there very many concrete countertops in your area? I've been building them for a few years.
    -Paul

Hi Paul,
    Starting over is all we have been doing since buying this house in October.
    We probably just should have knocked it down and rebuilt, but what the heck, it's all part of the fun and games, right????

Personally, I haven't heard of concrete countertops, but then again we haven't been doing the renovations for very long, so just about everything is new to us.

Would you happen to have a photo of one? I wouldn't mind checking it out as a matter of curiosity.

Cheers

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here