Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squashed digit

Default squashed digit

not wood work but cant do any for a while now anyway .
    on my own and trying to remove the posthole digger from the back of the tractor ( not an easy task by one self putting it on or taking it off with this old rig ) anway i had the top link off and one of the bottom 3point linkages off with just one to go and was having trouble with the thing flopping around and jammed the linkage , so holding the digger trying to balance it with the left hand and kinda holding the linkage with the right then gave the linkage a kick with the boot ( getting possed off at this point ) she let go and the digger fell and twisted some how and landed on the bottom link bar with my finger as a cushion for it .so home alone in the bush inventing new words looked at the digit and was actually looking at bone thinking this aint good , turn off tractor jump in the ute and scoot into town to the docs ( 13klm ) .
    doc checks it out and tells me i almost scored a chopper ride but some how i managed to miss chopping the tendons , few needles and 10 stiches , some anti biotics , now just have to wait for it to heal so i can go have another go .
    phone pic is while laying in the surgery waiting to be cleaned up , its ok its the tame pic .
    on my agenda is some kind of stand or overhead method of holding the digger while not in use rather than just unhooking it and letting it fall to the ground on its side .
    'If the enemy is in range, so are you.'

Ouch. . . made me wince and relive the crushed fingers of my left hand, back in 2010. I had a lot less visible wounding but I fractured the tips of all 4 and dislocated the tendons on two - apart from the pain twas a right PITA to get the tendons to reattach.

Anyway - hope it gets better soon.

Bugger not good at all hope it heals soon.

Wishing you a Speedy recovery. At least you can still count all your fingers. Some time to design a rig to lift off and put digger back on perhaps.

It is not easy when you are working on your own, but often people do not have much choice. The job just needs to get done.

A bit nasty Texx, tractor mounted post hole diggers can be a PITA to get on and off, I was trying to to the same, I had removed the top link and only for the hydrualic hose holding the rig I could have been in real trouble top heavy things if I remember correct
    Hope it comes good with no dramas

Pete

Boringgeoff is offline Try not to be late, but never be early.

Hi Texx,
    We used to just bore it into the ground and leave it standing there till next time. But that was on a large farm and it was used fairly frequently, I expect it could get rusty in that situation if you are a damn hobby farmer and using it infrequently.

Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Boringgeoff View Post
    Hi Texx,
    We used to just bore it into the ground and leave it standing there till next time. But that was on a large farm and it was used fairly frequently, I expect it could get rusty in that situation if you are a damn hobby farmer and using it infrequently.

Geoff.
    even on our larger 2 farms we hardly ever use the one we have there , i probably use the one on this small block more than any but water will sit in a hole for weeks on this place so probably not a good idea to do that .

OWWW !!!!
    Hope it comes good for you Tex.
    You have got me worried now, I have to remove the posthole digger off my tractor today so I can put the slasher back on........., maybe I'll let that grass get a bit longer

crickey must be in the air , just been told the bosses son has a finger to match mine now .
    he did it this morning shoveling out under a conveyer belt and the belt grabbed the shovel and pulled his hand in ,he has now got one finger that is not happy at all, they are taking him away for some surgery broke a bone in the digit too and minced it up a bit i believe .
    have to wait till he comes back so we can compare digits .

seems to me that i am very carefull around the things that i know can bite bad like the hay mower conditioners and when working under a running bailer rethreading the string or some thing like that or even when inside the big bailer all the things that look like they could eat you of which there are plenty on farm , but the things that are a bit tame or mundane are the things that get ya .

johno

rogerjenkins Guest

Default Farmin' life, can be downright dangerous at times !!!!

Grew up on a 100 acre small farm near Yorketown, so know what you guys mean.
    We had, " interesting," nasty stuff called, Boxthorn bushes growing in the old fencelines, and alongside the huge stumps of the old pepermint mallee. Boxthorns are a bugger to remove at any time, the bigger they grow the worse they are. We had some that were a good 12ft in diameter, with,( either ) the fence, or a tree somewhere in the middle. Can recall one instance in my teens when trimming a, " bocky," with pruning shears to get at a farm gate catch, the *&%$#@ boxthorn bush got its revenge on me, with a thorn through my left wrist,- and Boxthorn have some kinda poison on them, so my wrist swelled up like a football. Local Doc, had the interesting job of digging out the thorn from my swollen wrist. Luckily the Yorketown Hospital was only 3 miles, ( 5km ), from where we lived. Yes,- I still have the scar today. and, yes, I give boxthorns a wide berth these days.

*** Can remember, " Old timers, " saying they used Boxthorn Limbs for Axe & Hammer handles, etc., as the limbs are almost unbreakable
    Roger
    Last edited by rogerjenkins; 11th February 2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Can't spell !!!!!!

Boringgeoff is offline Try not to be late, but never be early.

Hi Texx,
    Would it be possible to disconnect the top link of the TPL and then lay the borer down by reversing over it as you lower it at the same time? You might have to put a block of wood under it to get the lower links off.
    I had a look at my Fergie, and though I don't have a post hole borer, I thought it might work.
    Regards,
    Geoff.

nope . the pto shaft on the borer gearbox will not let it fold any more than about 45 degree's to the top arm . i just need to make a stand for it or hang it from a chain .

johno

Ouch! I can feel that. all the best for a quck recovery mate.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by texx View Post
    not wood work but cant do any for a while now anyway .
    on my own and trying to remove the posthole digger from the back of the tractor ( not an easy task by one self putting it on or taking it off with this old rig ) anway i had the top link off and one of the bottom 3point linkages off with just one to go and was having trouble with the thing flopping around and jammed the linkage , so holding the digger trying to balance it with the left hand and kinda holding the linkage with the right then gave the linkage a kick with the boot ( getting possed off at this point ) she let go and the digger fell and twisted some how and landed on the bottom link bar with my finger as a cushion for it .so home alone in the bush inventing new words looked at the digit and was actually looking at bone thinking this aint good , turn off tractor jump in the ute and scoot into town to the docs ( 13klm ) .
    doc checks it out and tells me i almost scored a chopper ride but some how i managed to miss chopping the tendons , few needles and 10 stiches , some anti biotics , now just have to wait for it to heal so i can go have another go .
    phone pic is while laying in the surgery waiting to be cleaned up , its ok its the tame pic .
    on my agenda is some kind of stand or overhead method of holding the digger while not in use rather than just unhooking it and letting it fall to the ground on its side .
    If you don't have a good strong branch to sling it off, the second option is to back it up to a strainer post and chain it to the post, not to tight so you can wobble it a bit. thanks for bringing back memories of growing up on a farm. If you put a bit of sleeper etc under the pointy bit it'll keep it out of the mud.

yeah mate thats what i will probably do from now on , that is what we do down of the irrigation farm we have a big hydaulic driven digger there that we put of the loader front of one of the mid size tractors and run of the aux hydraulic lines ,it gets chained to the corner post on one of the machinery sheds we have to do it that way with that one cos it is a hell of a lot heavier than the little one i have up at the block that i live on . we do the same thing with a couple of front mount high lift fork fronts we use and they weigh over a ton each .but they have to be lifted on with another set of forks or one of the tractors with spears
    cos this one is the small one i think i tend to be a bit complacent and just drop it on the ground ( those days are over now though )

johno