Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Modern illnesses

Have you noticed how people no longer have simple illnesses, they get mucj more serious ones.

Eg
    nobody has a cold, they have flu
    nobody has a stomach ache, they have gastro
    nobody has a headache, it's always a migraine
    nobody has a sore throat, they have laryngitus

I was wondering why this could be:

1. People are sicker today than in the old days
    2. People think they are sicker today than in old days
    3. In today's world you need a better excuse for taking a day off work than just a cold
    4. We are obsessed with jargon and using a more technical term to describe a simple event even if the word we use is wrong
    5. More medical shows on the TV have given people knowledge about a wider range of illnesses

Any thought or examples that you are aware of?

Simon
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

Well spotted Simon...

About a fortnight ago I spent a weekend building a loft in my daughter's unit, and came away with a damaged knee for my troubles.

Knee was a bit sore and became seriously enlarged, and I have an aversion to self-diagnosis (or any other form of diagnosis for that matter) so after a fortnight went to the Doctor.

His first Question?

"Have you any idea what this may be...have you checked it out on the net?"

"No" says I, "That's your job"

"Good", he replied..." You have a breast growing on your knee!"

I almost became incontinent laughing.

P

I have Type II diabetes which after it was diagnosed I was sent along to a diabetic clinic. That caused me to deny it for about 10 years because all they wanted to do at the clinic was have a pity party and I just couldn't stand all that negative crap.

I do now have it pretty well controled but stay away from they other people with it because all they want to do is talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    I almost became incontinent laughing.
    Is that some modern jargonism for "I nearly p!ssed myself"

Simon
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

Quote Originally Posted by simon c
    3. In today's world you need a better excuse for taking a day off work than just a cold
    I reckon its option 3. management crawl into work with a stinking cold and give it to the rest of us. then when us meer mortals want to do the sensible thing and stay at home for a day then we have to say we've got flu.
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

I loves it! All that whinging, moaning and wailing about how the pimple on their botty may be leprosy and how their sniffle is poomoanya..... Fantastic stuff! thye crooker they are the better I like it! My words of consloation are always the same, "Good morning sir/madam, can I help you or do you need to speak to the Pharmacist?"

Just last night I experienced my second migraine ever. The blind spot appears, speach is slowed, the nausea sets in, then the ache starts. Wake up this morning and still have slight ache but is bearable.

I would never call a headache a migraine and now if anyone says they have a migraine, I will ask them questions to catch them out of exaggeration

The problem today is that kids are too clean. I read in the Time Life mag that 30 years + ago kids were out eating dirt, playing in it etc, and today, mum's are so clean, disinfect this and that, that the body cannot build up the resistance against small germs that cause things like gastro. My son never got gastro. I had him outside as much as the weather would allow and if he picked up a handful of dirt (sand some may call it) so be it, I let him eat it.

Get down and get dirty!

the body cannot build up the resistance against small germs that cause things like gastro
    For this very reason we refuse to do house work. Our house is a mess, there's dust and dirt and crap everywhere. Frankly, it's embarrassing when people come to visit. But our kids are healthy.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

A quotation from the James A. Michener book "Caravans" which is set in Afghanistan.
    When one of the local officials overheard a comment on the poor hygene in the country, he replied "If a child in this country reaches five years old then nothing short of a bullet will kill them".
    QED
    Kind regards
    Termite

Quote Originally Posted by gemi_babe
    Just last night I experienced my second migraine ever. The blind spot appears, speach is slowed, the nausea sets in, then the ache starts. Wake up this morning and still have slight ache but is bearable.

I would never call a headache a migraine and now if anyone says they have a migraine, I will ask them questions to catch them out of exaggeration
    That is the true desription of a migraine and it brings a twinge of fear every time I read/hear about it. I do not get them all that frequently, about every year or so but they are very little fun. Long live Maxolon and codeine is all I can say.

Gemi

A girl after my own heart!

I had a colleague (dietician/nutritionist) who put her newborn straight onto soy infant formulation, "just in case she might be allergic to lactose"

Alastair

an elderly relative always reckoned you had to eat a peck of dirt in your lifetime.

just out of interest i went and found a site that would allow me to convert a peck into metric - its 32 cups ( its a measure of dry materials ) ... that's a lot of dirt :eek:

Apparently quentin crisp ( of naked civil servant fame ) reckoned that after 2 years the dust doesn't get any deeper .. you just have to hold your nerve. I'm working on it )

I do know people with small kids who disinfect their kitchen floor EVERY DAY. Is it just me that thinks they need to get a life?
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

I deal with customers every day so I have to eat a lot of s**t. It hasn't done me too much harm although I do have a few beers at night to clear the throat.
    Kind regards
    Termite

You are all the cause of my grief. Whinge whinge whinge.Send your bloody kids to school full of dirt and s#$t, coughing all over me, complaining about their rights. What about their responsibilities?
    I mean the responsible action that sane people take when they are sick.
    Stay home and keep your pestilence to yourselves, none of this soldier on crap!
    Getting off soap box, taking prozac.
    Cheers
    Jim

"I see dumb peope!"

Quote Originally Posted by PAH1
    That is the true desription of a migraine and it brings a twinge of fear every time I read/hear about it. I do not get them all that frequently, about every year or so but they are very little fun. Long live Maxolon and codeine is all I can say.
    The slow speach hit as I was talking to my new neighbour and she was looking at me as if to say "what drugs you on girl" Had to explain that I can only see half her face and that I need to go take some nurofen.

PAH1 I can't have codiene, lucky for those that can. I will have to go to the doc and get stuff for them. This being my second one, I feel I will be up for more of them in the future. The last one hit me last year, so guess we suffer the same problem.