Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Pipe damage help!!!!

Dear all,

I thought I might sit back this week and watch the start of the Football and plan my next woodwork project when... I discovered soggy mess on some grass. It covers about 3 metres, rang 2 plumbers who said that if I dug the ground up they might be able to do the job middle next week. One plumber said if I was handy, I could probably do it myself but that it wasn't strictly legal. Now that I can't get one of our regular plumbers to come out, could you advise me on:

1. What emergency measures can I take here until the plumber comes i.e. can you make some sort of splint for the pipes and what sort of pipework is it given that the place is about 30 years old? We need the mains on for toilet, dishwasher etc. Can you minimise the leak?

2. This problem relates to the supply side of the pipes, is it normal to expect that more than 3 metres to be affected? When one section goes, does it all go and need replacing?

3. Would be feasible to undertake a job like this yourself, are there too many traps for the inexperienced? I have used PVC a little bit, but am told to use black pipe:confused:.

Any help appreciated, and if you're not busy this weekend maybe we can get dirty together, one day I'll return the favour.

Best bet is to dig up and locate the leaking section.If it is your supply then it will probably be gal,but I suppose copper was starting to come in to play 30 years ago too.If it is just a pin hole at the moment and you want a temporary repair,you can buy a repair clamp from bunnings or a plumbing supplier.They are a stainless steel band with rubber inside that you put around the pipe and tighten the nut.They will last as long as the pipe around it holds up.Check the pipe size before you go.They are not expensive.

If it i s copper,you could repair it easily with black poly.There are fittings that slip on to the copper and simply tighten up by hand.If it is gal,it is a bit more tricky.You would need to find a join at each end,and then you could again use poly.But if it is gal,you may as well bight the bullet and replace the lot now.

Tools

Thanks, Tools

Was a tree root surrounding the pipe, it had crushed the pipe and cracked it. Bought a compression type fitting and used that.

If it's only a pin hole screw in a small tec screw,preferably one with a rubber washer (using a battery operated drill only)

Max Ripper

Max,

Like that idea, how long would a tek screw repair last?

It lasted 5 years in a mains pressure electric hws I used to have before the hole became to big. I used plenty of silicone as well and after 2 years had to retighten the screw. Not bad for a tempory solution.

Peter.

Peter,

5 years almost qualifies for permanent in plumber talk, nice fix.

Default Tec fix

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Max,

Like that idea, how long would a tek screw repair last?
    Well if the pipes old the tec screw should last until the next hole lol. Failing that It could last for years.

ps I was suggesting It as a temp fix until a plumber could be arranged, cuz I like to see things done right.

Max Ripper cheers