Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: G'day Fellas

Default G'day Fellas

Only been working with wood for a short time (around 8 months), haven't done this stuff since school....

Trying to get some decent tools together...anyone know where I can get a decent Band saw? Maybe thinking about a Laguna or possibly a Hammer?

any ideas?

Thumbs up

G´day Mikey and welcome to the site with more opinions than John laws and Alan Jones combined.

You are certainly into the good stuphph with your choices but if you intend to take up the hobby in a big way you might think of a less expensive brand as you will need more gear and will have to spread the dollars around. Another consideration is the size of saw you want or will need, Plenty of opinions and info in the Bandsaw Forum. Have fun.

Also worth keeping an eye on the Market Place. Lots of stuff for sale there. Welcome to the forum.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can not recommed.

Default Band Saws

Well the good news is that my wife has ok'd the purchase of a (I think its a...) C31 Hammer, about 11k. I tend to buy expensive tools yes, but I have also found that with most of the handtools I have bought that the better brands take a lot more punushment and give better (and much more accurate) results...

Considering I was originally looking at a Laguna fit out of about 5k (US) which was going to include lots of tools, going up to the C31 does seem a big jump..... ....however when I get stuck into something it tends to last a v long time....

Any ideas on cheaper gear...just in case?! Looking at purchasing a Band saw and Table saw at some stage soon....Any good brands you guys can tell me about would be much appreciated...

Also - does anyone know any carving schools in Perth or surrounds? My wife wants to learn how to carve and possibly learn how to do Rocking Horses (can you tell we went to the wood show?! which was great by the way!)

Question

G´day again MikeyB. It willl be a good idea to post these questions in the "Woodwork-General" forum alittle further down the page. You will get all the advice you want _ and some you don´t - if you post there.

Cheers, artme.