Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default using an LVL for an exposed bearer

Hi

I am a computer illiterate forum virgin and so if I have done something wrong I appologise.

I am building a deck extending off a cement slab which is 7200 wide. So I will need a bearer to cover that 7200. The maximum span between posts is 2000. My first thought was to use a 190x45 LVL and I was offered an H4 treated beam for that purpose but it seems like that might not be a good idea for exposed situations.

My questions are as follows:
    Is the H4 treatment going to mean that it is OK?
    What other options do I have?
    Can I join 2 treated pine bearers on the post/stirrup?
    How would I do this?

Any help you can offer would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Alderton View Post
    Is the H4 treatment going to mean that it is OK?
    That should be fine for normal external use.

What other options do I have?
    Treated pine.

Can I join 2 treated pine bearers on the post/stirrup?
    How would I do this?
    Yes, but it will mean that your pan is a 'single' span not a 'continuous' span so you would hav to check your tables to make sure the bearer size is still sufficient.

There are various joints such as a lap joint or a scarf joint you could use.

The best thing would be to get the Alan Stains deck building book ... this will help you a lot.

Thanks.
    I'll work with that.

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

All of the LVL I've ever had anything to do with has always been supplied on the express understanding that it wasn't suitable for use in situations where it is exposed to the weather.......so I've never heard of H4 LVL (which implies that this LVL is suitable for use in ground.......not bloody likely!!).

Personally I'd be using a universal steel beam or a galvanised RHS in something like 150x50x2. You'll find that using either will probably increase your span width too. So you won't need as many stumps. And they'll be cheaper than LVL.
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    All of the LVL I've ever had anything to do with has always been supplied on the express understanding that it wasn't suitable for use in situations where it is exposed to the weather.......so I've never heard of H4 LVL (which implies that this LVL is suitable for use in ground.......not bloody likely!!).

Personally I'd be using a universal steel beam or a galvanised RHS in something like 150x50x2. You'll find that using either will probably increase your span width too. So you won't need as many stumps. And they'll be cheaper than LVL.
    I've used H3 lgl for external use - glue is exterior grade - prob the saem for finger jointed H3 posts as well. When I was purchasing it, no-one had listed a H4 product in LGL, so h4 is a bit of a surprise - like anything though, I'm sure it can be done.

I'm not sure even H4 LVL is designed to take weather eg rain. Give the manufacturers a call or download some data sheets.

The problem with LVL and ply is that water makes the timber laminates swell and they come apart. The glue doesnt fail - its the thin layer of wood next to the glue line.

I've never seen any LVL recommended for a severe exposure class - but if your LVL is recommended - let me know - I might use some!

Doog