Now as most of you know, working alone presents all manner of challenges from fixing gyprock to ceilings to drinking tea while using a circular saw (don't try this, please).

I have a little makita table saw which has been really handy but I struggle sometimes when I have long boards to cross cut. I have a good reach being 6'6" but its not the safest way to do things.

I have some 2.7m door jambs that I need to rebate and the saw is perfect for doing them as I used it a couple of months ago to fit a set for one bedroom. I was rumaging around for some timber offcuts with the intention of knocking together a crude tripod or trestle. Problem is the long timber pokes out the door of the room the saw is in so any kind of trestle would really get in the way.

My father in law has taken the opportunity of this renovation to clean out his shed (along with his wifes threat of hiring a skip and a man to empty it while he's out - don't laugh she did it a couple of years ago!) and pass on to me all manner of (junk) useful stuff, I mean who needs a 1m length of plastic conduit (I sure as hell don't).

Anyway, he did give me something called a bench pro 2000 which has remained in its less than pristine cardboard box until today. Its basically a portable vice which I have now clamped to the door edge and voila! A perfect support for long timber, and unobtrusive to boot.

I'm so chuffed at how well it works I had to make a cup of tea and tell you all (anything to get out of actually working...)

Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...