Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Plywood floor finish??

Hi all,

I am after suggestions on a finish for the ply floor in my new shed ( shed size 18m x 12m). The shed will be used commercially and will be driven on at times. I would prefer a lighter over darker finish and one that is simple and quick to apply .

Any suggestions?

TIA

AD

Is the surface in good condition? I thought maybe something like tongue oil because it could more easily be repaired / touched up?

Quote Originally Posted by bloggs1968 View Post

I The shed will be used commercially and will be driven on at times. I would prefer a lighter over darker finish and one that is simple and quick to apply .
    Used commercially for what? Woodworking? Light industrial? Expecting any chemical spills? How will it be cleaned? Why finish it at all?
    Cheers,

Bob

Wattyl 7008 2 pac.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    Wattyl 7008 2 pac.
    That's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post
    Used commercially for what? Woodworking? Light industrial? Expecting any chemical spills? How will it be cleaned? Why finish it at all?
    Bob,

used for boat building (wooden of course!) One area is used for chemical mixing but that will have a sacrificial secondary layer. Other areas will probably get the usual epoxy and paint drips over the years.

Cleaning will be via vac and broom.

Why finish it at all??? I thought that a uniform colour would be of benefit (easier to find nails and screws on).

Dusty/Echidna - As far as 7008 goes, I was after something that would give a more homogenous colour than the variable ply clear finished. Any suggestions on paint as opposed to clear??

regards,

AD

You have the choice of a 2 pack epoxy floor finish, I used this in my double garage over concrete. The problem with this is that it is not very flexible and I don't how flex there will be in your plywood floor, particularly between panels on the joints. It is also failry expensive, particularly for the area you are talking about, and re-coating can be a problem.

I would be inclined to go for one of the water based paving paints, cheaper and easier to apply, certainly easier to re-coat. Available in a range of colours, usually workshop floors are done in a light grey.

You can also consider marking out individual work areas with a different colour line, makes for better organisation the various working areas.

Quote Originally Posted by bloggs1968 View Post
    Why finish it at all??? I thought that a uniform colour would be of benefit (easier to find nails and screws on). AD
    Good. Exactly so. That's why I didn't recommend epoxy, etc. You said simple and fast. I suggest floor paint, which can be renewed at need, where needed. Uniform colour will be of benefit, but don't knock yourself out. And Big Shed's right, the flex will screw up the epoxy anyway. Great on concrete, but . . .
    Cheers,

Bob

Thanks guys,

paint it is - probably light grey.

regards,

AD

Hi,

I am in the process of laying a new T & G Plywood floor on top of an uneven slab and will be using Berger Jet Dry (solvent based) paving paint. I spoke to the Berger Technical guys and they say that it is important to use a solvent based primer as well. Apparently the product comes in a range of colours as well.

Regards
    Greg