Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile Pine Lining Boards - Painting?

Almost the entire interior of my house is lined with horizontal tongue and groove pine lining boards. My wife and I are both sick of looking at timber and would like to change their appearence. The expense of ripping them all off and redoing the walls in plaster is not possible so I was looking for advice on painting.
    Some are currently coated with a pale limed type of finish and some are coated with varnish or stain.
    Can they be painted and look good?
    My idea is to use a thick paint to minimise the appearence of grain and make them look as smooth as possible.
    I feel it should be a low gloss type of finish to make blemishes less noticeable, so would steer clear of gloss or high gloss paint.
    Any advice would be great.

You wouldnt need to rip off the pine lining to apply gyproc, stick it straight to it. Make sure they are solid and not going to move, screw them down first.
    No matter how much paint you use it'll still look like match board...

I built a house about ten years ago for a wealthy client who only wanted to use a certain range of materials: stone exterior walls, exposed rafters and timber lining, absolutely no gyprock, fibro, mdf or particleboard. Lined all the walls and ceilings in t&g pine but he decided that it looked too much like a packing crate inside. So we left the ceiling in a clear finish and had a painter spend weeks filling, sanding and priming all the knots before painting. The end result was excellent. We weren't hiding the fact that the walls were made of t&g boards but the light coloured paint made the whole place brighter and lighter without appearing sterile like gyprock does. All timber walls tend to make a place dark and a bit too "busy". To make a good job of it though you will need to spend a fair bit of time in preparation (like any good paint job).

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

You can prime/undercoat the walls with a paint called 3in1 sealer, it sticks to shiny surfaces and will give you a base for a colour on the top.
    I have a timber house and have recently finished restoring it, I used a pad to paint the walls, one small one with rollers on one side for cutting in around skirting and window frams and a large one that comes with a kit that you can buy at any home show or woodies show.With a bit of practice you will be able to paint the place quickly and the finish is great.

have fun

Taffy
    Remember if ther were no Mondays there would be no weekends.
    (I'm retired now so to hell with mondays)

Question Pine lining .....polyurethane finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    I built a house about ten years ago for a wealthy client who only wanted to use a certain range of materials: stone exterior walls, exposed rafters and timber lining, absolutely no gyprock, fibro, mdf or particleboard. Lined all the walls and ceilings in t&g pine but he decided that it looked too much like a packing crate inside. So we left the ceiling in a clear finish and had a painter spend weeks filling, sanding and priming all the knots before painting. The end result was excellent. We weren't hiding the fact that the walls were made of t&g boards but the light coloured paint made the whole place brighter and lighter without appearing sterile like gyprock does. All timber walls tend to make a place dark and a bit too "busy". To make a good job of it though you will need to spend a fair bit of time in preparation (like any good paint job).

Mick
    Howdy Mick..... I have just found this post.......if your still around could you please have a look and let me know what you think about my finishing problem....and its great to finally know I'm not the first to actually appreciate a timber lined house which when finished neat, level, plumb and flush... is far superior than gyprock for insulation, acoustic and appearance benefits......as long as you can afford the cost and effort required to have it!....
    Kind regards,
    Peter Bassett...(olbassy Kangaroo Island S.A.)