Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finishing courses

Gday again. Can anyone please recommend a good finishing course? Does TAFE run anything like that in NSW that would be worth doing? Are there any other finishing courses which you would highly recommend? I'm a bit tired of hit and missing everything - I seem to ruin a lot of things at the finishing stage.

Thanks very much.

Andrew

Just enrolled in a TAFE course in Adelaide, $160 for nine 3 hour sessions, very curious to see if it is worth it! NSW would have similar courses, wouldn't it?

"Please note that blatant advertising in any Forum other than Buy Sell 'n' Swap is inappropriate and will not be tolerated"

Default Polishers

Frank,
    Please let us know how you get on with the course. I keep reading Neils handbook not only a great read ......
    but I recon with a lot of practice I may someday get the hang of it.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike
    "Working to a rigidly defined method of doubt and uncertainty"

Hi Mike.
    So far, so good. These night sessions are purely hands-on. No theory, the instructor just shows you how what you want to do is done, gives you the tools and materials then leaves you to it and checks every now and then. The first night I learnt to apply French polish on an open pore surface with a $80 squirrel hair (!) brush and cotton pad (next week the same after applying pore filler for comparison), the second I took one of my dining room chairs that need restoration and completely stripped it. The instructor is no restorer, could not advise about the best way to recoat the piece without losing its "antique" value. I'll open a new thread to see whether some of the members can help me with it.
    Cheers
    Frank

BTW: I dropped in at the last Woodworkers' Group meeting, nothing to write home about but I think I will join anyway. Are you a member?

Hey Frank,
    No I'm not a member of the Woodworkers Group. Think I need advice on lots of the finer points of woodworking besides this great forum, hence interest in the TAFE course to see if its time well spent. My previous experience with adult training at TAFE was not good no offence to the lecturers but generally pretty basic stuff. Perhaps we could sponsor a visit to Adelaide by Neil . Thanks for the response.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike
    "Working to a rigidly defined method of doubt and uncertainty"