Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorbond Fence

Default Colorbond Fence

We have agreed with the neughbours to get a new fence. They want a colorbond (we wanted paling) and said we can pick the colours. Our house is yellow with green trim.

Any recommendations or things to avoid in choosing the colour?

Green with a cream top lattice. Common, looks nice, fit most colours.

Don’t pick a colour from a brochure. These colours rarely match up with the actual colour of the colorbond fence. Colorbond fencing agents have, or should have, fencing samples about the size of a business card that you can take away. These samples are made from colorbond fencing material and reflect actual colours.

PERSONAL OPINION- I think colour bond fences make back yards look like used car lots. Try talking your nieghbour into palings again then you have a greater choice of colours and can easily change colours.

Quote Originally Posted by julianx
    PERSONAL OPINION- I think colour bond fences make back yards look like used car lots. Try talking your nieghbour into palings again then you have a greater choice of colours and can easily change colours.
    Im with Julian......sort of,
    Colorbond isnt much good if you have dogs who like digging, given the gap between ground level and start of the bottom rail. You can run concrete up to this but IMHO kind of defeats the purpose.
    If your a keen gardener or like having your gardens up againt the fence....it isnt much chop as it will corrode + allow every weed into the garden plus that "lovely" couch grass that people seem intent on planting.

Neibour and I are going for good ol fashioned super 6.
    We both have dogs and i dont need any creepers from the lawn next door in my garden beds.
    Yep its grey, but once the plants grow....who cares what color a fence is anyway?
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

I Disagree,

A few years ago we replaced our 1.5m rotting pailing fence with a raked 1.8m colorbond fence (60m of it).

We love it, we have much more privacy from our neighbours, and it looks great. If you are worried about the 'used car lot' look, you just need to plant some screening plants in front the fence.

We have a beige coloured fence (Summershade) and it looks really good with the green of the plants in front of it.

If you do go colorbond and your block is sloped I would get it raked not stepped, looks alot better and more finished, it also limits the gaps under the fence. We have laid treated pine sleepers to cover the gap under the fence and stop the soil from garden beds building up around the bottom channels, three years on and it seems to do the job fine.

No more pailings for the neighbours kids to kick off and let the dogs out, or railings to climb either

just my 2c

Joel

Fence in question in the background (sorry only pic of have of it and only have that because Ive just posted these pics elsewhere of my new deck)

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. We wanted a pailing as I mentioned but didn't want to cause trouble with our new neighbours (they look kinda scarey! :eek: )

I like the green and cream idea. Unfortunately we can't afford the extra latice on top so I think cream posts would be good. And I agree I don't like the stepped look so I might ask about the other option.

I looked at the cream ones in the neighbourhood last night and I though that were a bit glarey with the sun shining on them so I might stick with the light green.

Thanks again everyone

Rivergum is a nice shade if you can still get it. With the gaps underneath, I found that T/P 4x2 fits nicely in the 'C' channel that they use for the posts, so once the fencers had put it up, I went around and filled it in. Came up good with a bit of deck oil. You can also use the half round T/P logs but you'd need to chamfer the ends to get them in.

After living in termite country for the last 10 or so years, I'd never put up a paling fence again.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Bushland is also one of the newer colourbond colours, a very soft green.

Don't forget, if you need a new fence, and you are happy with palings, you only need to contribute 50% of what a paling fence would cost. If the neighbours want CB, they would normally pay the extra themselves. Having said that, you have to all live together too. Diplomacy may be in order.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

If you do go colorbond and your block is sloped I would get it raked not stepped, looks alot better and more finished, it also limits the gaps under the fence. We have laid treated pine sleepers to cover the gap under the fence and stop the soil from garden beds building up around the bottom channels, three years on and it seems to do the job fine.

No more pailings for the neighbours kids to kick off and let the dogs out, or railings to climb either

just my 2c

Joel

I feel same as Joel we have just done this with one of the neighbours and went for the raked look. No more termites and the dogs don't run up and down the fence barking at one another. Looks great

Chears sam

Colorbond is termite proof too

So now, they can go to your house instead of your fence

Actually we also just put up part of a colorbond fence. Easy to install, looks great to me and good privacy. We went with the dark green for everything. We stepped it however up the back for the slope at the back of the block, but you can't really see that bit anyway.
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

Bella

A couple of pics of our new fence The colour is willow and type is Lysaght Netascreen

Cheers Sam

Congratulations on agreeing with your neighbour to replace the fence. We are just ending a 3 year saga shortly. We have a raked colourbond fence on one side at the moment and other sides will match.

I think in relation to cost between paling and colourbond (certainly in Canberra) the costs are identical. Colourbond also last longer - paling fences have a 15 - 20 year life.

Cheers
    The Numbat is a small striped marsupial whose whole diet consists of termites.

Quality of installation makes a huge difference and colourbond can be used in lots of different ways. I use a subbie for the bigger colourbond jobs but we do the small ones ourselves. Here is somecolourbond between piers for a different but cost effective makeover:
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Quote Originally Posted by vsquizz
    Quality of installation makes a huge difference and colourbond can be used in lots of different ways. I use a subbie for the bigger colourbond jobs but we do the small ones ourselves. Here is somecolourbond between piers for a different but cost effective makeover:
    Geez squizz,
    If i had known that you do fencing as well, would have got you down here for very cashy easter.
    That is, if your not too busy.........did someone say "shortage" or was that "boom"
    Cheers
    Steve
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got