Not asking for actual legal advice, but some general guidance.

The carport saga drags on, and we now find ourselves in an administrative tangle that includes a building notice and nearly $1500 in additional fees from the certifier and the council. The original carpenter has not replied to the demand for a refund. I have spoken with council, the VBA, and the director of the certifier business. We face the prospect of demolishing the carport. What bright spark decided that NOW, when the carport is virtually finished and concrete poured, was the time to issue the notice, when it should have been done back in September when the build happened, and demolition would have taken a few hours?

All of this because of a 300mm variance in the setback, a conversation with the inspector on site (who apparently denies to his boss what he said to us: mark up the plans and submit as built), and the fact that we believe the certifier is now nit-picking simply because he can. I can not ignore the building notice, and have 30 days to reply to it, or they can submit this to a magistrates court. More fees, fines, etc etc.

I need to find someone with a legal background who can help me to draft something that I can submit to a local court in order to obtain a judgment against the carpenter, and perhaps help me gain an understanding of the process. I am not looking to actually sue him for damages. I just want a refund, and my administrative costs met so I can finish this. Consumer affairs will be my first phone call on Monday morning.

Can anyone assist? We are both beyond stressed over this now.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...