Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    bward Guest

Question Refinishing or Reviver

I've got two restoration projects that I now have the same question about after reading Neils Polishing Handbook.
    The Question being: Do these need refinishing or would a reviver treatment be all thats needed.

The First one is a drop sided oak auto trolley. The solid oak top has beautiful grain but the finish had a few scratches in it. Before I got Neils handbook I tried cleaning with 50/50 Metho and Pure Turps. I stopped when it started removing polish in one area and not really evening out. Also I noticed the shellac fogged up a bit which I now put down to moisture content of the metho I was using, the fogging seemed to disappear or at least isn't noticable after it dried. I'm not sure what the next approach should be. Rub pure metho over the surface and see if it will even up. Or will I need to now rub off the old shellac and reapply fresh shellac. I'm assuming the lighter patch I've already created is more a refinish job and not something that can be tackled with reviver.

The second and much larger job is my antique dining setting delivered last weekend. It's also oak and the old carvers show that lovely worn in look on arms. The setting is from an estate and the polish needs a freshen up but I'm now thinking U-Beaut reviver might be all that required before a good wax. I want to clean and bring up the surface buffing out minor scratches but I want the piece to maintain its beautiful aged quality where its more worn showing a more golden oak.

I've only just got into buying antique furniture but prefer the conservation approach where a peice is made functional and servicable versus the restorative approach which can make an antique look indistinguishable from a brand new peice.

So in reference to my fundamental question. When will reviver do the job vs the need for refinishing.

regards

Brian

Generally speaking I would use the reviver first and if that doesn't give you the result you are looking for then you can always refinish it. Often old furniture only needs the reviver and refinishing will ruin the age old patina that gives it it's value.

The reviver won't hurt if you have to refinish it later on but the other way around, refinishing when an application of reviver could have done the job, is annoying.

Peter.

bward Guest

Thumbs up Thanks Peter

Thanks Peter. I'll get some reviver and give that a go. Be handy if there was some guideline as to how much reviver can do or what to expect from it for finishes in various conditions. Be interested to hear peoples experiences of what they've managed to acheive with reviver.

cheers

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bward View Post
    Be handy if there was some guideline as to how much reviver can do or what to expect from it for finishes in various conditions.
    Brian
    Brian, from Ubeat's, this forum owners, own website details on what it does and how to use it.

Peter.