Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default White Paint in Teak's Pores

Hi everybody, I'm a rookie with woods...
    I just purchased on old house with old teak doors. The previous owner painted the doors with white color. Instead I wanted original teak look.
    I already used paint remover to removed 5 layers of the old paint. With the last layer, I already sanded down with 80grain, but I still can see the white paint in the pores and joint of the doors.
    What should I do?? How can I get rid of the the white paint completely?? I'm just afraid when I stain the door, I still can see the white paint in the pores...
    Please help....Any Suggestions & Recommendations ??
    Thank you very much for the help !!!
    Stephen

To get rid of the paint go heat gun and paint scraper to get most of the paint off. Then to lift it out of the grain coat with paint stripper - leave for 10 or 15 and scrub with steel wool (the kind you buy in the supermaket) and hot water...Then sand (starting with 80 and going down to at least 240)

This method works a treat for baltic pine - should work for other timbers

Pore and joints are a real headache.

I have used a variety of the following with paint stripper on pores and cracks.
    1) An old paint brush where you cut about 2/3 of the length of the bristles so they are stiffer than usual.
    2) For small areas, an old toothbrush - also cut off about half the length of the bristles.
    3) A very fine wire brush on a dremel.
    You may have to apply the paintstripper 5-6-7 times and use a lot of patience but it will eventually come out if the pores/cracks are shallow.
    On joints, deep cracks and holes you may have to dig it out with a scraper blade. I use a hacksaw blae that I grind to a chisel like point. In situations which have a lot of holes full of white paint I drill out the paint to a couple om mm below the wood with a small countersink and then filled with wood putty.

30 years ago we also had 7 (oregon) 1920's doors with many layers of paint on them, most were probably were leaded paints and the bottom layer was a gooey crazed shellac which required hand rubbing with meths and steel wool to remove. The thought of dealing with the leaded paint and eventually removing the shellac by hand turned us right off so we had them dipped professionally. There was absolutely not a skerrick of paint or shellac visible on them but the processed knocked the natural colour right out of the timber and cause some of the thinner panels to swell and buckle. When we got the doors back they were a dull grey brown colour and we were not able to mask the grey colour with any sort of oregon coloured stain. In the end we settled for a darker (Jarrah) colour which was not our original intention but it was all we could do.