Default Is there a BROMELIAD expert in the house ?

There is a giant bromeliad around the plant nurseries here - growing about 1 metre across and a very dramatic feature plant. The leaf color is a silvery green.

This morning I saw an ORANGE/ RUSSET RED leaved giant bromeliad in - of all places a landscaping yard growng in a pot in full sun. - Extra Dramatic!! But $90.

The bloke in the yard had no idea what its botanical name / variety was. A bromeliad nursery went out of business and gave all their stock to the landscape yard in lieu of accounts due.

Is anyone able to give a suggestion as to the name of the orange leaf bromeliad? The yard is closed now until Monday when I'm going to sneak back and try and get a pic.

I would have bought it immediately - except I couldnt help but think the leaf color of the brom is exactly the same as some deciduous trees just before the leaves fall and now I'm suspicious that the broms might be sick.

thanx Doog

Look here at the third one down
    http://www.hunterbroms.com/ListProdu...y.asp?CatId=77

Denn

Hi Denn, that 3 rd one is the same color - not sure how big it is in the photo - but the one I saw had much wider and longer leaves.

Doog still looking

http://www.hunterbroms.com/DisplayPr...australia+bgl4

This has got to be the same species - shape and size identical - wrong color!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Doogie View Post
    http://www.hunterbroms.com/DisplayPr...australia+bgl4

This has got to be the same species - shape and size identical - wrong color!
    That's big - I want one that size

Denn

I went back to the landscaping yard and tried to take a pic thru the chain wire Fence on max telephoto - guess what - camera focussed on chain wire with a very blurry red thing in background.

The more that I look on the net, the more that I'm convinced that the broms in the yard are rare becuase of their strong color. I mightjust go and buy them on Monday heh heh - or not!

Doog

Instead of buying the monster big orange brom - i got 4 smaller ones for $40 .

That log behind the monster brom is 700 mm dia and its growing in 400mm pot.
    Last edited by Dirty Doogie; 15th November 2007 at 12:53 AM. Reason: more info