Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Filler problem

Default Filler problem

I am in the process of repairing two broken chairs. I have re-glued the damaged struts, and have a few areas where the original wood was chipped away, the pieces are missing, and the spots will need to be filled. I will need to sand and stain the struts to match them to the rest of the chair. I have found in the past that Timbermate filler absorbs stain to a greater degree than does the surrounding wood, making it very noticeable. Is there a way to fill the damaged areas so that the stain will be absorbed evenly by wood and filler alike? Any help very gratefully received.

You can mix dye in with the filler to try and match it to the colour of the timber.

What timber is used on the chairs?
    Buy the best tools you can afford and you'll only cry once...

Thanks, Rhys. I am not sure what the wood is. It is quite light, close grained and brittle. I have tried Timbermate 'hardwood' colour filler, and it is a good match. My worry is that when I stain the repaired part to match the rest, the stain will absorb more into the filler than it does into the wood, thus showing darker patches wherever the filler has been used. My thinking is that I should somehow seal the filled areas before I stain. Of course, this necessitates a sealer that will accept the stain. Am I on the right track?

Get some scrap wood of similar grain and colour, chip some bits away and fill them. Then it's a matter of trial and probably error.
    Cheers,
    Jim

With minor dints and nicks some time i will dam up the nick with some tape and dob on sanding sealer until the build up is right also takes stain i have found in the past