Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Exclamation Best tip of ALL!

If your not concentrating 100% on what your doing, then stop. Dosn't matter if your just using a chisel to trim a joint or using the tablesaw to rip some stock...

Why do I bring this up.. Well I almost found myself seriously injured only a few minutes ago. I was ripping some timber for a top of a chest, and yes my mind was defintly on a different matter. I pushed the timber through and instead of turning the saw off and removing the timber from the rear of the saw, without thinking I simply picked the board up and pulled it backyards towards myself over the blade and it slipped from my fingers and landed square ontop of the saw blade still running at full RPM. The board caught the blade and shot towards my old fella Luckily somehow the board slowed and bogged down on the saw blade allowing me a split second to grab the rear of the board and simultaneously swing for the emergency switch...... Phew! Very close call... Unfortunatly I now have a rather deep and long groove on the underside of the board... So I am finishing work an hour early today...

Don't allow this to happen to you, as next time, who knows what might happen....? I am not writing this here for people to think I am after sympathy, fact is, it was my own fault if worse did occur, but let this be a timely reminder to all that we all constantly need to remind ourselfs of saftey...!

Cheers! & heres wishing for a better day tommorrow...

------------------
    Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Think of the fortune you could have saved on those little latex devices if you had been a bit slower.
    A timely reminder to us all anyway.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Talking

Better 6 inches of board being sacrificed Shane,rather your 1 inch ol' fella.

Seriously tho glad you're still in one piece...very unfogiving those saws and having a handy emergency stop is something everybody should be reminded of.

Cheers

------------------
    Johnno
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Hey Shane WAKE UP!!!!

KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Exclamation

If you ever need a wakeup call go and have a look at the accident database at www.woodworking.org I make a point of reading through a part of it at least once a month, despite how sick it makes me feel. The tablesaw injuries are particularly bad so it is not for the squeemish.

But believe me, there is more than one person out there that has a phantom itch and a bloodstained tablesaw blade hung on the wall as a constant "reminder".
    http://www.woodworking2.org/AccidentSurvey/search.htm

------------------
    Glenn
    www.woodworkbooks.com

I used to say "Can you still count to 10 ? ".

Now I think I'll start saying "Can you still count to 11 ? ".

------------------
    Thanks,
    Barry G. Sumpter
    Proud Tritoneer
    Thanks,
    Barry G. Sumpter
    May Yesterdays Tears Quench the Thirst for Tomorrows Revenge