Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How would you make this to account for wood movement?

How would you make a table top like this and allow for the natural movement of the woods? I love the look and would like to try something similar but can't see how it would be a long term option. Here's a link to the original
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

I would be doing the parquetry 4 to 5 mm thick and gluing that down onto some good quality plywood with a two pack glue. Then surround the edge with a frame , mitered or plain .
    The frame , in four pieces on the bench could be built up brickwork style with different timbers with the grain going in the same direction though.
    use a biscuit joiner to fit it on , if you have one.

Rob

Hi Corbs,

According to the link, it is glued up in three layers so its a bit like plywood.

Plus, the pieces are all small so the movement in each individual piece would be relatively small.

I reckon you would need to put a fair bit of thought into the layering and obviously put the better looking pieces on the outside and use a strong glue.

You might even consider making the core layer out of plywood and edge and cover it with the other pieces.

Someone with more experience than me may have other ideas but that's my 2c

Cheers

Doug
    I got sick of sitting around doing nothing - so I took up meditation.

The cracks will show sooner or later whether you like it or not. It is a poor job as there are lots of gaps between the pieces.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Thanks for the replies team... Wongo, I was of the same impression. Unless the top is made from thin veneers I can't see how this wouldn't open up with cracks everywhere.

I showed SWMBO and it was not approved so I guess how it's put together isn't really important
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

How much do they want for it??????? "Skilled craftsmanship" ??????? That shot of the surface looks like there's enough gap between some of the timbers to stuff a few matchsticks in! Sorry, for that much money I'd want a properly jointed top!

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    That shot of the surface looks like there's enough gap between some of the timbers to stuff a few matchsticks in!
    Isn't that just black bog that looks alarmingly like cracks?
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

I'm assuming that it is some sort of filler; but it's filler to fill holes where it seems that lengths have been incorrectly cut or where a 90 degree angle isn't 90 degrees (it's not like there's a 'oh, it's a hand cut dovetail' type of excuse).

The pieces are just not square. It is as simple as that. Skilled craftsmanship? What Skilled craftsmanship? Let's just call it rustic.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

To stop movement it could be glued and encapsulated with epoxy glue (marine grade would be the ticket), and then varnished with an exterior grade or (better) marine grade varnish. e.g. as per boat building. I have a small boat that was built in this manner 20 -30 years ago, and the joints are still crisp. The trick is to encapsulate with epoxy glue, and then to keep up with the varnish before it breaks down due to UV, or due to damage.
    That said... a table like that is not to my liking... it would make my eyes itchy.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/