G'day!
I am finally getting around to satisfying a Building Inspector's request fro me to put up a strutting beam and struts to support widely spaced (1m +) long (6m?) hardwood rafters in my self-designed and built 'hipped shed roof' carrying just foil, insulation and steel sheets.

He acquiesced when I proposed a beam at right angles to the rafters, from which I would put angled struts toward each rafter...

I have been looking at the massive 6000 by 275 x 70 mm F17 DAR H/W beam cluttering up our 'living room' floor, together with two nice 100 x 100 H/W posts, for the past few years (don't ask) but have just begun to fix two massive custom-made steel brackets to the opposing walls.

I've also considered using the Egyptian (?) method of moving the beam into position by sliding it up two strategically placed hardwood planks angled towards the two brackets.

But my wife has just put her foot down and wants me to think of a better way than jack up this amazing piece of timber - hence my quest for advice...

A box beam would look easy enough - but I just noticed that it can be used only to support vertical loads. My struts would be vertical to the rafters, but angled to the beam...

Thanks for any suggestion!

Cheers,

LMH

NB: I will meanwhile figure out a way to extricate twin 10mm stainless steel Dynabolts from the solid-cored block wall spot where I managed to insert them a fraction too deeply for the second steel bracket...

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...