Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Wattyl Estapol, Turps V's Water Base

Hi all.
    Ive been using Wattyl Estapol both Satin and Gloss for about 5 years, with very few problems.
    Could anyone tell me the differences if any between the turps and water based product ?
    Also is the finish as good using water based rather than turps base ?.
    I am considering changing to the water based product, but before i do I would like to be sure im not taking a backward step.
    Thank you in advance
    Brian

Hi Brian
    I use the oil base, the water base is clearer/not so yellowing I think but it is not as hardy. I had to do a stain repair on a staircase one day, the floor was done with a water base floor finish, I had a plastic sheet down but just as I had one drop fall a builder went past and hooked the plastic sheet and the droplet hit the floor. I quickly wiped it up but the drop had gone straight through the water base finish. Luckily I was able to bleach it out with household bleach on a cotton bud. I have also heard of other things like orange cordial etc going straight through. I will stick with oil base I think, far more protective.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

I have used both products on shoes racks that I made. Normally only used for the sides and keep the timber where the shoes are raw. I gave one to a friend and he put the rack outside in the front veranda. It was just exposed to the elements and did not last more the two years. I made another one for him and used the turps(oil?) based one and it has held up pretty well, so far only one year. Still have time to wait before I know for sure.

Might have to add that the water based could be only for interior and the other exterior and interior.

Thank you Claw Hama and Cristos for the coments.
    It seems that I will be safer to stay with what im using rather than changing to the water based product.
    The only time i have problems using the oil based (turps) product is in winter where i try to put subsequent coats on prematurely, the result bubbly finish often requiring sanding back , re stain and go again.
    But I will admit its my fault trying to finish when I know its not dry enough to re-spray.
    Again thank you for replys.

Yep, winter time you often need 2 days between coats, I have had the same bubbly finish if I'm hurrying. If when you sand between coats and you get little rolls of finish rather than dust, put your grear away for another day.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

I tried water based a number of years ago when it was reasonably new here in Australia. The best thing I could say about it was that the brushes washed out in water. Other than that I was totally unimpressed.

I'd be sticking with what you're currently using.

A tip for spraying estabol oil based is to use enamel thinner. I dries faster and is less likely to run.

Can anyone give me advice on finishing some new dry sawn jarrah weatherboards. Im thinking of using sikkens hls followed by filter 7 or alternatively just 3 coats of filter 7.