Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wire wheel on angle grinder

Being close to Easter, late this afternoon I decided to start the resurrection of a small 28 year old workbench that I think can still serve a purpose in my shed. This bench has a rusty 1.5" angle iron frame, a badly installed standard 5" vice, and an uneven 150 x 40mm thick Jarrah board top that is studded with drill holes and saw cuts. Despite this, the frame is still solid and the underneath of the jarrah boards look reasonably serviceable.

Anyway after taking it apart I decided to use a stiff wire wheel brush on an angle grinder to take the excess rust off the frame. Dressed in my standard shed apparel of t-shirt and footy shorts, but using the all important safety glasses and ear muffs I felt moderately safe. While working with the grinder I felt a number of small stings on my upper legs and arms which I thought were just flakes of rust hitting my skin. About half an hour ago in the shower I discovered about half a dozen, 1 - 10 mm long bits of wire hanging out of my skin. These wires are clearly from from the wire wheel.

Normally I use this wire wheel on timber where I don't have this problem. Long pants/sleeves and maybe a leather apron next time?

er...I think if you read the recommended rpm speed rating on the wire brush, you will find that they are not really meant to spin as fast as angle grinders spin..... How did you get one that mounts on an angle grinder?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by martrix
    er...I think if you read the recommended rpm speed rating on the wire brush, you will find that they are not really meant to spin as fast as angle grinders spin..... How did you get one that mounts on an angle grinder?
    Martrix, to get one that mounts on the angle grinder, go to the nearest hardware store or auto parts shop and buy a wire wheel or wire cup brush that are made with a hole or threaded nut to suit a angle grinder.
    Seriously you can buy them easily.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Butcher
    Martrix, to get one that mounts on the angle grinder, go to the nearest hardware store or auto parts shop and buy a wire wheel or wire cup brush that are made with a hole or threaded nut to suit a angle grinder.
    Seriously you can buy them easily.
    I have one of each, had them for ages, metal fabricating shops use a lot of them too.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

I bought one of the cup versions when I was stripping the paint off my BS to restore it. They are fantastic, but be careful if they catch:eek: And yeah I ended up like a needle cushion too!
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Even the wire wheels intended for use on a fixed bench grinder will shed their wires in use. They wear out, and that's what happens. Can be a painful and risky procedure, and saftey protection including gloves is a must. I actually stopped buying the wire wheels for use in the student's workshop, too risky for eyes, and instead use a 3M abrasive product. Its a similar size wheel, but made of an open rubbery compound imbedded with abrasive particles. Rips off paint and rust but not as good for getting into corners etc...and wear$ away too.

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Yes it is the wire wheel type with the threaded hole that fits directly onto the angle grinder. The thing is, using this on wood was fine, I think it was losing wire because I was using it on angle iron with all those hard edges etc. Maybe I was just forcing too hard.

Been there, done that, in shorts and t-shirt as well.

Chris
    If you can't laugh at yourself, you could be missing out on the joke of the century - E.Everidge

the Banksiaman

Bob, any time I play with my angle grinder, I wear Steel cap boots, Long trousers (King Gee Heavy drill), Long sleeve shirt, Glooves, Safety glasses, Ear Muffs, Full face Shield and my forum cap! Too many time being a pin cushion
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Went through two of these grinder wire wheels a day when I was a labourer at a steel works. I had to de-pincushion my shirt every smoko and before going home. SWMBO got MOST upset if she found a 'steel splinter' in the wash. In the end we had to go back to hand wire brushes 'cos the welders (18 feet away behind metal shield walls) complained about getting 'wired'.
    Trevor.

Big brother who is the metalwork division of the family would give this advice.

wire wheel, angle grinder, two hands, farriers apron, full face shield.

This is from a man that uses a 9" angle grinder to cut metal in shorts.:eek:

I've been spiked thru heavy drill trousers.

imagine waht that would do to your eye:eek:

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by soundman
    ........imagine waht that would do to your eye:eek:

cheers
    I'd like to measure the frequency response of the output shreak when it happens!

Default new here

I only joined this forum to thank you all for giving me many hours of reading and advice over the last few weeks.I am in Bairnsdale Victoria Australia. And I am what you would call a budding home hobby engineer. Again thankyou all.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    I'd like to measure the frequency response of the output shreak when it happens!
    On alot of occasions it is not noticed, one of those things that hurt once you realise what you have done. Not speaking from personal experience but 10 years in Mining dealing with Environment and Safety saw a fair few eye injuries.

I too have been a pin cushion, copped a fair few in the thighs over the years when pushing hard to clean of deep rust on sharp edged objects, don't think I would like to get one in the sack

Reminds me of the time I spent the day squatting down welding old plough feet onto lengths of rod that we were going to concrete in the ground to hold 100 m long tents up when I was working with the Ag Department. Only had short King Gee shorts, blundstones and a drill shirt on - was like bad sunburn right up to me treasures Walked funny for days

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post
    .......Reminds me of the time I spent the day squatting down welding old plough feet onto lengths of rod that we were going to concrete in the ground to hold 100 m long tents up when I was working with the Ag Department. Only had short King Gee shorts, blundstones and a drill shirt on - was like bad sunburn right up to me treasures Walked funny for days
    Now that's gotta win the botty winking story of the week!