Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mounting kitchen door hinges

Just after some advise on mounting kitchen door hinges am I right in saying you use a forstner bit for drilling the hole in the door for the hinge to sit in?:confused:
    Kev.

Kev,
    just did some of the same on Sunday past. Busy with my kitchen doors and drawers at the moment.
    Yes, I use a 35mm forstner bit. I use it in a drill press. It can be done hand held if you are careful, it is a big bit tho. The holes are crisp and clean when using this bit. One can also purchase special hinge boring bits made by CMT, but it is expensive. Make sure you get the measurment from the edge of the door right. I am using Blum Clip top hinges and I drill the centre of the hole 22.5mm in from the edge. Thus the hole is 5mm in from the edge of the door. I have seen some desriptions that get the hole to 3mm from the edge, but testing on scrap did the trick for my full overlay doors. The measurements should be the same for other brands of hinges as well. You can go to the Lincoln Sentry website and download the hinges catalogue. The descriptions for mounting the various hinges are in this catteldog.
    Regards
    Les

The 35 mm hole you drilled is that a standard size or are all hinges different.

They are standard. All hinges are the same size. Or should be. If the ones you get aren't, take 'em back.

I do believe that there is a mini size hinge available. Not sure of the dimensions tho. As the silent one said - the standard size is 35mm - even in the US of A.
    Les

I mean a different makes the same size hole?

They make a special bit to cut out the hole if you didn't want to get a forstner set. I would do it in a drill stand - not freehand.

Carry Pine

I'd go one better, and find a cabinetmaker - preferably a one man show, he'll have guides setup and could drill 20 doors in about 5 minutes and probably charge you less than the cost of the bit. drilling 2mm too far would be a disaster! thats what I did for 2 extras, and he didnt charge me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lesmeyer View Post
    the standard size is 35mm - even in the US of A.
    Les
    Surely they would insist on using 1 3/8"
    Dan

Kev,
    ......... You can go to the Lincoln Sentry website and download the hinges catalogue. The descriptions for mounting the various hinges are in this catteldog.
    Regards
    Les
    Les had a look & didn't see anywhere to download the aforementioned 'hinges catalogue' on the Lincon Sentry site.
    If you could be so kind as to provide a link to the catalogue, I'd be eternally grateful
    Cheers

Major Panic

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Surely they would insist on using 1 3/8"
    Dan,
    I once saw a solution to the problem that the seppos have with this. Can't quite remember what it is right now. Had a barbie and a few reds.
    I suppose it would work. I do not own a 1 3/8 forstner bit. I do however have 2 35mm bits of different quality. I would imagine that if one will be drilling many, many 35mm hole, then a CMT hinge drilling bit would be a wise purchase.
    Regards
    Les

Be careful if you have bevel edged doors. Don't want to drill through the bevel now, do you. :eek:

Not that I have.......

Quote Originally Posted by MajorPanic View Post
    Les had a look & didn't see anywhere to download the aforementioned 'hinges catalogue' on the Lincon Sentry site.
    If you could be so kind as to provide a link to the catalogue, I'd be eternally grateful
    Major,
    I checked and there seems to be a problem with the Lincoln Sentry site in this regard.
    If you go to the Blum site at http://www.blum.com/group/en/03/02/0...ITxEb6N-C7N:-1
    and on the right hand side you will see the "open blum catteldog" link. This will download a 4MB pdf file with all the hinge info. If you have no luck with this, I can mail you the 4Mb pdf file.
    Regards
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by renomart View Post
    Be careful if you have bevel edged doors. Don't want to drill through the bevel now, do you. :eek:

Not that I have.......
    Now who on earth would do a thing like that !!!
    Les

Major,
    I checked and there seems to be a problem with the Lincoln Sentry site in this regard.
    If you go to the Blum site at http://www.blum.com/group/en/03/02/0...ITxEb6N-C7N:-1
    and on the right hand side you will see the "open blum catteldog" link. This will download a 4MB pdf file with all the hinge info. If you have no luck with this, I can mail you the 4Mb pdf file.
    Regards
    Les
    Thanks Les!

I've downloaded it
    Cheers

Major Panic