Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Electrical Tagging

Just thought I would share this with you:

Today I noticed an electrical tag on a TV at work (school) that said 'Unsafe- do not use.' Closer inspection said 'exposed wires'. My colleague who donated the TV said,
    ' Just take the tag off. It will be all right.'

The wire was visible to me without glasses. I guess that's why we have rules.

Carry Pine

I know it sounds drastic but to save a life cut the plug
    Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

Timber is what you use. Wood is what you burn.

Quote Originally Posted by rat52 View Post
    I know it sounds drastic but to save a life cut the plug

Actually I would chop the lead off back from the exposed wire, then I'd chop the plug off and bin the bit of lead. If you just remove the plug some idiot may fit another and of you don't chop the plug off the faulty wire some kid might plug it in and fry themselves.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Smile

do what the journeyman says

Or take the TV into any electronics servicing shop & get the whole cord replaced. Its an easy 15min job so shouldn't cost much at all. (i used to do them regularly when i had my shop) Schools require an electrical test on the new cord tho so check that the tech has the certification to pass the new wiring.

Oh dear.

under QLD regulations if I as a licenced electrical worker saw that item I would be required by law to render it safe... immediately and without delay.

If you were a "responsible person" in the school and you did not ensure that the item was rendered safe you would be liable for prosecution.
    The phrase 75 penalty units comes to mind.
    In the act there is a string of clauses, that state who you are and why they are going to hit you for 75 penalty units.

Basicly in QLD if you knew about it and didn't make sure it was rendered safe...75 penalty units.

1 penalty uinit currently $75.

Absolute minimum, chop the plug off.

I no longer wonder why soo many orginasations do not accept donated electrical goods.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Not repaired yet. Colleague asked could Scripture teacher use it on Thursday. (No jokes please!)

Plug cut off today.

CP

Tagging is a Joke

having seen it done recently to equipment.

How many people will actually understand what each Tag type is for or if they can even read them after some use they do discolour and wear off the print.

Any device that is un-usable or un-serviceable should have the cable cut there and then not left for dummies or hero's to still have a go.

Nobody seems to have asked where the exposed wires were. If it just needed a new plug, I'd think most of us here would do it ourselves. I can't image on a TV where else there would be exposed wires since they are usually pretty well encased to keep fingers away from the electronics and high voltage stuff.

If the case was broken or the cable substantially stripped then we're talking different issues. I'm not foolhardy but nanny state regulations that won't even let you replace a plug are OTT. I believe in Victoria it is technically illegal for anyone other than an electrician to even change a light globe.

It is easy to make the nanny state argument.....BUT.....when you have seen what some people who "think they know what the are doing" have done you have absolutely no argument.
    Afterall the bloke who donated it thaught that having exposed wires is OK.

Besides this is an item in a SCHOOL, where children could be handling the item.

The frayed or exposed wires realy are not the issue....only a symptom.

The issue is that a used electrical item that has obviously had considerable wear & tear.....HAS NOT BEEN PROVED ELECTRICALY SAFE.

Since I started to get all conciencious about testing and tagging ( about the time the regs changed) , I have come across quite a number of items that were not compliant and were in every day use......I have come across equipment that had been in installations for over 10 years and could not have been compliant when it was installed........I have even found items of my own that did not pass......& believe me I am fussy.

Now the current electrical safety act in QLD was put in place after a young bloke got killed by a dodgy vacume cleaner in a boat yard..(there were family political connections)....I know another young bloke who worked at that same boat yard.....he had refused to use the very same vacume cleaner days before hand.......it had expoosed wires in the power cord.

It can not be assumed that the general public know how to make proper electrical connections... AND...more important how to check the electrical safety of an item.

Do you want your children handling electrical equipment in school that has been repaired by someone who thinks they know what they are doing.

This whole light bulb thing is a load of rubish... show me the regs.

cheers
    People are made of meat.

How about this one then?

Denn

A prime example of natural selection
    People are made of meat.

[quote=Fuzzie;814389]Nobody seems to have asked where the exposed wires were.

If the case was broken or the cable substantially stripped then we're talking different issues.

Just for the record: wire was stripped half way along for about 100mm.

Carry Pine

Quote Originally Posted by soundman View Post
    This whole light bulb thing is a load of rubbish... show me the regs.

cheers
    http://blogs.smh.com.au/sit/archives..._a_dead_w.html

I can't show you the regs but this guy Ben Ives, a law lecturer at Queensland University of Technology, has been doing the rounds for a while. He was on one of the morning programs earlier this week. I of course believe everything I read/see in the media

Still it's legal for Bunnings to sell all the DIY electrical supplies as long has they have a disclaimer card up on the shelving telling you not to DIY. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were true.

Quote Originally Posted by Carry Pine
    Just for the record: wire was stripped half way along for about 100mm.
    Well yes that sounds dumb. I suppose it's good that a lot of electronic stuff comes with figure 8 or clover leaf replaceable cords these days rather than having to disassemble to replace a cord like that.

I wonder when the tagging was done? At the school or before the donation? Donating it broken is pretty gormless. A school with a tag and test program that doesn't take action on the test results is also pretty gormless. That's them teaching your children.

Quote Originally Posted by soundman View Post
    It is easy to make the nanny state argument.....BUT.....when you have seen what some people who "think they know what the are doing" have done you have absolutely no argument.

BTW, Anybody want to buy some nice chinese professionally packaged milk products......