Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Complete Hardware -Sydney -Going!

I am devastated to see one of the oldest hardware and building supplies in Sydney is shutting its doors.

Complete has been in the area for as long as I can remember and it was the "old Style" hardware that had everything-and I mean everything! You could go in a buy a Kilo of nails or 2 or 3 screws or good quality tools.

What the hell is happening to this place? Will there be any kind of hardware stores left in a few years (Apart from the junk yards known as Bunnings ) ...

I suppose the site will end up another Asian Grocery store or a block of 1 bedroom flats with the washing hanging over the balcony.

As long as price is people's only consideration, businesses like this will continue to fold. The only way thay can survive is if local people support them, even though this may mean paying a bit extra. It really makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by LGS View Post
    As long as price is people's only consideration, businesses like this will continue to fold. The only way thay can survive is if local people support them, even though this may mean paying a bit extra. It really makes me sick.
    You are so right.The silly part about all this is that after all of these places close down,we are going to pay more from the "Big Boys".

Yes its going that way. We will drive from here in Ipswich to a hardware store in Paddinton, Brisbane for those items that we can't get anywhere else. Its definately worth the drive over there Staff are friendly and know what they're talking about when you ask them something.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

it is a real shame to see it go, i bet 3/4 of thir trade customers dont even buy anything from bunnings.

they have so many differnt items that no one else carrys, its a sad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Strungout View Post
    I am devastated to see one of the oldest hardware and building supplies in Sydney is shutting its doors.

Complete has been in the area for as long as I can remember and it was the "old Style" hardware that had everything-and I mean everything! You could go in a buy a Kilo of nails or 2 or 3 screws or good quality tools.

What the hell is happening to this place? Will there be any kind of hardware stores left in a few years (Apart from the junk yards known as Bunnings ) ...

I suppose the site will end up another Asian Grocery store or a block of 1 bedroom flats with the washing hanging over the balcony.
    Are you talking about the Complete Hardware at Eastwood and Parramatta.

If so I used to have an account there at Eastwood about 30 years ago and bought heaps of gear from them.

But I thought BBC bought out the one at Parramatta years ago.

Yeh thats the one.

I never new they had the one at Parramatta , but I know they have been at Eastwood as long as I remember .I think it may have been called "The Hardware Store" about 40+ Years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    it is a real shame to see it go, i bet 3/4 of thir trade customers dont even buy anything from bunnings.

they have so many differnt items that no one else carrys, its a sad day.
    So why did it go under?
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

"So why did it go under?"

I can give you my perspective.

I live quite near the Eastwood branch and would drive the extra kilometres to Bunnies at Carlingford or Thornleigh. Here's why:

1) On the weekends it was only open on Saturday mornings and shut fairly early on weekdays, so it was hard to get to unless you're a tradie and could just drop in.

2) They played the radio at high volume and acted all huffy if you asked them to turn it down so you could hear what they were saying to you.

3) For many hardware items it was counter service, so you couldn't just go and pick something off the shelf but had to wait your turn and then tell them what you wanted then they'd go and get it.

4) You had to get different stuff at different counters. One time I had to queue up at three different counters (one in another building) for one lot of stuff to do with guttering. Actually, make that four - I had to deliver part of the order to the guy in the yard out the back.

5) If you didn't know exactly what you wanted - ie if you weren't part of the tradie club - some of them (not all, but enough to put me off) had this wonderful way of making you feel like a moron. (eg Me: "I need to buy some XYZ's" Them: "What type do you want" Me: "I'm not sure, what types are there?" Them: "The usual types.") This isn't my imagination - other non-tradie blokes I know had the same complaint.

All in all I found going to CH in Eastwood - when I could get to it - a fairly unpleasant experience.

There's more to running a shop than having lots of stuff out the back.

Gaz.

Probably because only the 'old timers' knew about them - and they are all retiring. I had not seen any mention of them before this on these forums, so they can't have made much of an impression if their customers don't recommend them.

Also it could well be because the owners are also reaching retirement age & can't find someone willing to pay to take over the business. And/or the lease on the property has expired & the property owners think they can get a fortune for the rent - but Eastwood is about to become something of a backwater with the rail link going from Epping to Chatswood due to open 'real soon now'. Parramatta also probably priced itself out of range - both Bunnings and Hare & Forbes have set up a looong way out of the CBD - just barely able to be called Parramatta rather than Northmead - and I think H&F owned their site.

Well that puts quite a different slant on things - guess Bunnings can't be blamed for everything (other than perhaps showing a different method for selling stock)

I have no interest in taking a side in the debate, but it is good to have a more comprehensive view of both sides of the fence.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

it is a trade based store.

bit like and smaller version of hardware and general which has every thing you need but it has differnt shops in the same street.

Yes it was similar,They had Hardware,plumbing ,tools and paint in one building and a "Showroom" in another as well as a sand cement / steel yard.

I never had a problem down there with any of the staff .I know that if they never had what I wanted they would always get it some where or come up with an alternative.

The thing is that you could buy what you wanted - 5 nails,6 x screws a meter of pipe or a cup of oxide /cement - you didn't need to pay for extras that you wouldn't need.

There hours weren't too bad either.Mon Fri - 7 to 5 00 and sat 7 - 4.

Most of the staff were tradies of some sort and a lot had been there for years with a wealth of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    ... guess Bunnings can't be blamed for everything ...

Naaaaahhhhhh.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I have tried to support the smaller hardware outlets but they never seem to have what I am looking for when I want it. Their stock is usually very limited and more expensive than the bigger retailers like Bunnings. Also with some of the smaller stores, the minute you walk through the door you get sales staff breathing down your neck asking if you need any help. Personally, I hate shopping in a store where stock is behind the counter and you have to ask to see the item. I like to look at my own pace and consider the options on offer rather than have a salesman standing over me waiting for me to make a decision. Its the way of the world today. We have been conditioned to super store shopping.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John