Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Appliance cupboard, seamless door

Hi, I have an idea for how I want an appliance cupboard in my kitchen (yet to be built), and wanted some help in working out how to do it.

I like the idea of an appliance cupboard, but I really dislike the ones that are basically boxes that sit on the bench with a roller door. They take up so much space!
    I've got an area next to where the cooktop will go, and behind the kitchen is a staircase, so I've got room there to build an appliance cupboard into the wall.
    I figure I could make the door of this cupboard as part of the splashback, so when it's closed it just looks like a continuous splashback.

I thought it would be nice to slide up behind the overhead cupboards, but have no idea if such a mechanism exists. A pocket door might work, but the stairs kind cut through at the left, so it would have to slide on the right, which wouldn't be ideal.

An opening door would be a bit of an inconvenience.

As an alternative I could have a roller door (what are they called.. trumour door or something??) with a stainless finish or something to sit flush with the splashback. Wouldn't look too bad, might look like a feature. But can I get them at a custom size??

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

Cheers

Here's a rough diagram to give you an idea.

personally I don't like appliance cupboards
    all they really are is a space to collect crumbs and dust, or to hide the cord for the jug and toaster

the roller door is called a tambour
    for a tilting door you could use a mechanism similar to that used on a tilting garage door or a pocket door mounted horizontally

any door that folds in the horizontal plane means that the bench infront of the cupboard must always be kept clear — most appliance cupboards I see are always open.

ian

Thanks.
    I want to keep it closed to hide away the toaster and stuff... I've had the space prewired so I can have them plugged into power points inside there.. so I just drag them out on the bench to use, then push them back away to keep neat.

Tilting door isn't an option, because the stairway behind cuts into some of the cavity.
    Here's another diagram to show what I mean :

How about something like this?

http://www.blum.com/au/en/01/10/30/index.php

The Aventos HL won't be available in Australia until April (I think) but I am sure there are other people making similar options.

Don't forget that even though the door is flush with the splashback it still has to comply with the minimum clearance of non fire retardant materials regulations.

Oh, and yes, you can easily get Tambour doors coloumatched and made to measure - and not very expensively either - I buy mine through Nover.

Cheers,

Earl
    Kitchen Design Consultant

Custom and Flatpack Kitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Don't forget that even though the door is flush with the splashback it still has to comply with the minimum clearance of non fire retardant materials regulations.

Earl
    My Wife wants a tambour doored cupboard to hide the toaster etc, which as has been said above they are just a convienient way of covering up grott.

I have considered the heat that will come from the toaster and its cooking/browning of the underside of the overhead cupboard.

So Earl what sort of materials meet fire retardent regs? Thanks Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949 View Post
    I have considered the heat that will come from the toaster and its cooking/browning of the underside of the overhead cupboard.

So Earl what sort of materials meet fire retardent regs? Thanks Rod
    It is a bit of a no no to operate appliances when they are inside a cupboard - especially toasters!
    The idea of an appliance cupboard is to slide the appliances out of the cupboard while using them, then push back in when finished...which is why appliance cupboards are often set back 200mm or so from the leading edge of the bench.

Minimum safe clearances for overhead units from an electrical heat source are 600mm from the burner.
    Heat affecting overheads is a major issue with thermolaminates, hence some of the problems people have with them...especially steam damage from electric jugs and bubbling from toasters.

I don't have my AS/ANZ Standards handy at the moment but from memory a "fire retardant" material needs to have a pretty high flashpoint, I think a couple of hundred degrees.
    As an example the most frequently used fire retardant materials are Steel, Ceramic, Stone and (hardened) Glass.

Laminate, timber, melamine and acrylic are definitely not fire retardant.

Maybe someone else here has the exact specs.

Cheers,

Earl

Thanks Earl most appreciated. I was thinking along the lines ceramic tiles.

encino_ sorry to hijack your post. Cheers

Ha no it's good to have info!

That Aventos thing probably won't work... remember there will be overhead cupboards above the splashback!

Are there any slide up mechanisms available anywhere?

Hmm, maybe I'll just stick to a tambour door then.
    Anyone recommend somewhere I can get one made up.. fairly cheaply?
    I'll probab have to go with a mosaic tile splashback instead of glass.. it would blend in better with a stainless tambour IMO.

I would get in touch with Nover - they supply my tambour doors (via a third party manufacturer) at excellent prices.

Made to measure and colour matched.

Also now offering a new model made entirely of square section hollow aluminium extrusion.

Cheers,

Earl

give these guys a go http://www.tambortech.com.au/ they have a variety of finishes including metalic laminates, and come with easy to use instructions