Default How good is your extended warranty?

This saga has been on going since the 12/12/2007, 6 weeks before my extended warranty on a LG 60 inch LCD Monitor expired. The monitor was / is displaying a vertical blue strip on the right hand side of the screen about 1/8 of the way across and a horizontal yellow strip in the middle of the screen. Rang the warranty people with the complaint, they gave me my local repairer name and address and an order number for him. So far so good.
    Just on xmas so he will not have time to do it until 2008, I explained about the warranty being nearly finished but as I had notified the insurance company is was not a problem he said. I called in after his holidays but still too busy and as the set wasn't completely
    un- serviceable I could wait a bit. Called in every month or so, will be up to see the set soon. He was over the road from my house installing my neighbors plasma TV ...what about me I said... be up the end of the week he said.
    Now it turns out that he had never done any work on this type of set and didn't really want to have anything to do with it.
    Eventually he submits his quote to the insurance company 6 months after I reported the problem. The set needs a $1000.00 part and $1900.00 for him to fit it. BTW I think his price is fair as it is a major job to pull the set apart and set it up again.
    Now because the set is out of warranty the insurance is giving me the run around.
    I went to the dealer who sold me the set, BTW is cost $9400.00, and he said that they have to fix it or replace it with a similar set.
    The insurance offered to pay $2900.00 and a similar set is $5400.00 so I would have to pay the difference.
    I said to fix it or give me the similar set, no they said,... they would start the process again. In the mean time they contacted the repairer with an offer of $300.00 for his labor and they would supply the part. No to that he said.
    So what do you knowledgeable people suggest that I do now.
    When I bought the set I had a bit of money but now I am living on the pension and you pensioners, now how that works.
    WOW that was long post but I have got it of my chest

no smilies appropriate

thank
    les

Get in touch with Consumer Affairs in your State. They'll give you the right advice.
    ... as long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation. (A.Hitler)

I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Hi Les88, try this site, www.dtvforum.info/index.php?, it might give you some ideas. I no a lot of people with LGs are having trouble

Regards Thommo

Thanks for your help
    Ron I will ring the Consumer Affairs this morning
    les

rrich Guest

I have an LG also. Mine is a 32 inch LCD and over a year old. Most deffinitely out of warranty. I purchased an extended warranty from the store that sold the set.

When viewing a programme that is broadcast on either the digital or the HD part of the cable, the audio and video were out of sync. The cable company (Verizon) asked me to call LG for service. (IMHO, the real problem is the set top box supplied by Verizon.)

LG told me that the set was out of warranty but they would replace some parts to solve the problem under warranty. They did but it didn't. The company (LG) was rather decent about the whole thing.

Rang the insurer this morning they told me that they had been in contact with the repairer, called into the repairer and yes they had sent a fax telling him to go ahead with the repairs. So that is a relief
    les

The insurance company probably finally figured out you had lots of time to run them thru' the wringer over not fulfilling their contract, don't be surprised if they try to stiff the tradesman as they will figure he can't afford the time off to chase them up. This sort of thing seems to be common with certain classes of 'insurance' company, particularly those offering warranty insurance.

Its probably a no-no at this point to name the company concerned, but if they try stuffing you around again, it would be nice to know who they are, so no one else deals with them.