Thread: Finishing

Unhappy Finishing

I am a fairly new 'old fellow' to woodturning and would like to know the finish to use on things used to put food in/on ie cutting boards/cheese boards/bread boards/bowls etc.Thanksm Stewie

Quite simply - nothing..... Though for asthetics different people use different things. i'll let those who produce goods to be used with food fill you in....
    Cheers!

A search of the BB should bring up quite a few answers to this question from previously asked questions/

Shane hit the nail right on the head..... Nothing is best.
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

I think in this case something is better than nothing! Try a food oil, but not olive - it'll go rancid. Then after using the item, just wipe down with paper towel, or at most a mild detergent solution followed by another wipe with food oil.

Cheers,

Ern
    Cheers, Ern

Check my post on finishes under breadboard, (save the broadband)which says don't finish let the wood do its own thing... don't use nut oils in case of allergies (sp) and vegy oils tend to go rancid as said above. sometimes nothing is best. go figure..of course i don't know the kinds of wood you are dealing with, my experience is north of the equator, you guys have wood that is unknown and who's knows what is in them! i supose you people do, eh?

regards

hope this helps.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Don't use Organoil food surface finish, the smell remains forever
    I did a cheese board just after the last Melb WWW and the smell is still there.
    It is classified as food safe but the small is really offputting and I thought that it would dissapear in a week or so.
    I just use a little vegetable oil or nothing at all.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.