Default Decking Posts/Stirrups

Hi all

Can someone advice what spacing my post holes should be for my deck.

5.7m x 3.7m

I have worked out that I need 3 bearers and 12 Joists, however I am not sure what the minumum spacing should be for my posts.

Also, as this will be a low deck (under 400mm), I assume the bearers can slot straight into the stirrups horizontally (rhat than the normal vertical post as for higher decks) with the joists attach via the 'hanging joist' method'.

Also, awhat re the maximu length you can get in joists and bearers? as I am trying to determine whether the joists able to span the full length of the deck (3.7m) or will I need two smaller lengths. Same with the bearers.

I hope all this make sense.

Thanks for your input.

Pat

Pat

I mentioned in your other threat to get the deck and pergola manual. I think you will find it invaluable in building a deck. Probably the best $25 you'll spend.

No problems getting joists and bearers the right dimensions. You could normally specify the lengths that you need and they should deliver. You probably will need to trim to final size.

It is OK to put bearers straight into stirrups - although keep in mind that many stirrups are made for 90mm timber. If using treated pine, you can fit 2x45mm into each stirrup. I suspect that your bearer in the middle will need to be 2 pieces (ie something liek 2/190x45, at a guess - you should check) if you use treated pine. Joists can be at leve and you can use joist hangers.

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Post spacing should be no more than 1.8m

Posts go into stirrups. Bearers bolt to posts.

KD Hardwood is available in lengths up to 5m no worries...

For design help go to http://www.australianhardwood.net/ and select domestic decks

Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Thanks for he replies...makes some more sense now.

One other thing, as I will be bolting a bearer to the concrete patio, I assume this can be used as the first bearer?? I think they refer to it as a ledger??

I went to the library the other day to get that book that was recommended however it was on loan. I may try my local bookstore instead. It will no doubt help with my overall understanding and principles involved.

Cheers

Pat

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Quote Originally Posted by swazee View Post
    One other thing, as I will be bolting a bearer to the concrete patio, I assume this can be used as the first bearer?? I think they refer to it as a ledger??
    Yes. But it would be better if you used galvanised steel angle for this as the water and junk flowing down the wall plus moisture in the concrete will rot the timber out rather quickly.
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    Post spacing should be no more than 1.8m
    You could go double that if you wanted to increase bearer or joist sizes. The cost would be comparable depending on whether your counting labour or not. You'd pay more for the bearer, but you'd be digging one less hole + concrete + stirrup. Of course the bearer would be deeper as well which is a concern if your ground clearance is tight.