Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ride on Lawnmowers

Looking at buying one. Who has personal experience - good or bad - and of what brand??

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Looking at buying one. Who has personal experience - good or bad - and of what brand??
    Cox...Aussie made...bullet proof.. ..My old stockman is about 25 years old...IMO the best drive system of any ride on....(and I could probably sell it for what I paid for it back then).

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Avoid Cox, had one, was absolutely the worst piece of machinery I ever purchased. After two motors blew up I gave up. The ex has a John Deere, it is always dropping belts off. My parents had a Greenfield, very old tech but bullet proof.

Toro by a mile.

As an example, ook at the steering system on a Cox, JD or MTD; they use a bit of steel bar bent round and pushed into a hole on the steering knuckle. Toro use proper rose joints, cast steel components and fit everything with grease nipples.

I live on an acre and a half, mostly lawns and trees. It gets a good workout!

Cox may be an Aussie brand, unfortunately they look like someone bought a pile of parts and star pickets and assembled them into a mower in their shed over a weekend....drunk. Their design and build quality does not justify the price tag in my opinion. We have one at work, making people ride it is seen almost as a punishment..........

I've got a Huskvaurna, its about 8 years old now, I mow about 4 acres of my property, the rest is bush.
    Only things I have had to do to it is replace the drive belt about 3 times now, other than that its only been blades,one battery, oil and filters, and a couple of sparkplugs in that time.
    Its got a V-twin Kawasaki motor that never misses a beat.

I've seen my neighbours go through a variety of other brands in that time, none have lasted like my Husky.

First cox:

They USED to be bullet proof. The stockman was the best machine in class for decades. They got sold and the new machines are rubbish. This is why you have two opposite opinions above.

What you buy depends on your budget and mowing needs. I have an old rover ranger xd. It's a 5 speed machine with about a 36" cut. They are bulletproof and mow well but are hopeless with corners and trees because it's NOT a heel toe. To change gear or engage reverse you push in the clutch and swap cogs like a manual car. PITA when mowing.

So if you have obstacles or lots of corners to deal with a heel toe is nicer. 5 speeds like mine tend to be lower maintenance. Many of the manufacturers have consumer range through professional range. Many brands are rubbish and will fail in 6 months. It has been suggested that MTD stands for made to dump but I know people who have ahd a good run with them. Motors are cheap and easy to replace but when the transmission fails or leaks the deck warps or breaks or the chassis is rubbish your better off starting again.

How much lawn ? how much money ? do you need other functionality ? new or used ?
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Hi Artme
    I went through what your going through about 3yrs ago and finally settled for a Husqvarna ZT3016 it's a zero-turn with 1 blade deck 16hp B&S motor[19hp on new models].
    I only have 3000sq mts but to mow on the ZT you enjoy it when it use to be a chore on the tractor mower plus it does it a 1/3 quicker.
    I was about to buy a greenfeild tractor type when i spotted ZT's on You Tube and that was it for me, they are about 1k dearer than a decent tractor type but worth every cent, the only faults i have with mine are the cable operated blade engage and the front tyres have square corners not rounded and will make a divot if turning to quick. If money is no problem have a look a the Bad Boy ZT 42 inch it's a near commercial machine at 6to7k.
    That's my 2 bobs worth all i know is i will never buy another tractor mower again and if i get 10 years out of the Husky i will be happy.
    P.S. I have seen my mower badged up as a Mcculloch and a Dixon so who knows where they are made MTD maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Hi Artme, I had a Bolens some years back. It had the deck out in front which was good for getting rright up close to shrubs, fences etc, but the long belts would need to be refitted several times each time I used it. Bl....y nuisance. The next and current mower is a John Deere and have been very happy. It was about the same price as the Husquvarna and both had Briggs and Stratton motors. I chose the JD because it had a tighter turning circle. That actualy means the front wheels turn furrther and lose their grip, so you skid straight ahead into the shrub you are trying to dodge. Apart from that it has been a very reliable unit. I have had it 8 years and still have the same belts that it came with. Good luck, Jeff

Had a Cox with a Honda motor 24 years - The cream powder coated model - only ever did oil changes and replaced blades - I live on an acre.

When I retired I replaced car and thought I would do the same with the 24 year old ride-on - biggest mistake ever - the new one was red with a Honda motor but was sprayed red rather than powder coated and came with built in rust - the deck drop handle to engage the blades actually bent so far at the bottom over time that it caused the electronic cutout to activate and would not allow the engine to start - that took a little finding - the shaft appears to have been made of some sort of soft metal which is useless.

Only had the red Cox 18 months before I replaced it with a Husqvarna 22HP 42" cut - wanted a Kawasaki but could only get a Briggs.

Artme, as you are living at the Bay - go and see Mike at the mower place - he sells more than Husqvarna and I have found him to be very honest - the actual name of the place escapes me at the moment and as I'm in Italy I can't check my stuff at home.

As I said how much lawn ? how much money ? do you need other functionality ? new or used ?

if you don't offer more details much of what's above is useless.

Cox got sold, possibly after a bankrupcy, about 10 years or so ago as I recall. Pretty much as soon as the new owners took over they started changing stuff, all for the worse. Within a few years they had gone from THE best 10-13hp mower to utterly useless. Took people a while to catch on and I get told the stories all the time. The sad thing is if you'd kept the old cox it'd still be going strong.

People used to argue that the greenfields were as good but the transmissions on them were never as reliable as the cox stockman. The heel toe rovers were a notch down again.

Zero turnes are nice as is hydrostatic drive etc etc but really you've got to buy the right machine for the job. If you've got an open acre or 2 and few obstacles you'd do well with an old rover 5 speed like mine. Cheap as chips and you can't kill it with a big stick. On the other hand if your knocking over 10 acres and want a golf green finish a cylinder mower might be a better option.

You wouldn't use a no7 plane to hammer a nail. It'll do it, but it's not the best solution.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Default Nrb

HI guys I have a viking which is a Stihl I think,Briggs and Stratton engine,been cutting a couple of acres for 12 years with the only thing going a bit off,other than blades was the idler pulley for the cutting deck.
    This has no lube point and sealed bearings so seeing that it gets a hose down now and then I think that's OK.
    Spare parts still around but now under the B & S brand not Viking.
    As I used this machine to bring into line some pretty rough ground I think it is serving me well.
    Not sure that they sell these at present.
    As a point to look for, a lot of machines have gravity fed fuel and no tap to turn off,I had a issue that I must have had some junk in the tank and the float valve stayed stuck open which caused the engine to completely fill with fuel,on trying to start I thought the battery had gone dead but the fuel made the engine lock up.
    After draining and filling back with oil all was well,this happened early in it's life and hasn't seemed to cause any problems,when buying a tap to put in the fuel line the guys at the mower shop said this is very common
    Good luck with your search

I had a John Deere many years ago and was constantly trying to get the cutting deck level. I then tried a zero turn from Toro was very happy for nearly three years until the left hand hydraulics failed. Toro dealer said that nunits are not serviceable and a new one is $2200 plus fitting ie half cost of mower when new.
    I now have a hustler which is built like a tank mows faster and is a really great machine. Built in USA but you cannot have everything. The deck is welded steel not pressed metal and even has a non slip step built in.

Quote Originally Posted by damian View Post
    As I said how much lawn ? how much money ? do you need other functionality ? new or used ?
    As Damian said - we need more details.

I have 4 acres and mow with a Scag, but at near $16,000 it's not for everyone. Does a great, and quick job though.

My suggestion is to buy through a known good smallish mower shop where the guy you deal with owns the place, you will pay a bit more initially, but they will be able to service/repair/get parts to ensure a long life, and have a good idea of what has a long life and what is a dud.

Inherited a Toro, purchased locally from a large corporate owned mower shop. Parts cost heaps, and are not always available locally quickly. Unit is now 18yo, and has been fairly good, but did poke the reverse idler gear through the lower casting of the manual gear box 3 years ago. Local response, discontinued gear box - no parts. Got everything it needed from independant suppliers in the states for AU$150 delivered, spent a day on it and fully rebuilt the box. New box available from US for $750 plus freight, but freight was the killer there.

Will probably see us out on the current property, don't think that I would replace it if it dies when we move in a few years.

Exclamation

Thanx for the replies fellas!!

Block is 1880Sq.M.
    So take out house, shed, pool and a fair sized grove of trees over thetranspiration pit and I guess there is 1000 sq.m. plus to mow.
    Only tricky bit is a fairly steep slope whrer the excavation material from the pool was placed and set at the level of the pool.

Actually mowed the other day with the 2 stroke Victa. 2 tanks of fuel, nearly 3 hours and got all but about 50Sq.M. finished. Wasn't too bad except for the time factor. I mowed across the slope to keep down the effort needed in pushing.

I am beginning to think a self propelled mower with a 21"cut will do the job well enough.

Had a look at a McCullough (spelling?) today. Price was OK. It had a B&S motorbut I didn't like the quality of the front enad.

Just have to see how I go next time.
    Last edited by artme; 18th August 2012 at 03:51 PM.