Default Linseed Oil for merbau decking?

I work for Reece Plumbing and next to us there used to be Reece Timber right, I brought about 700mtr's of merbau decking off them and they told me to keep it looking like the day I brought it is to use abit of Linseed oil in it, but this is going back close to a year now and I cant remember the mixture.
    Does anyone know a good mixture at all?

I used a mixture of 50% linseed oil and 50% turps on the recommendation of a builder several years ago. It went a real black colour over time. I would not use it again. It was a real shocker to get rid of.
    Cheers,
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Vip View Post
    I work for Reece Plumbing and next to us there used to be Reece Timber right, I brought about 700mtr's of merbau decking off them and they told me to keep it looking like the day I brought it is to use abit of Linseed oil in it, but this is going back close to a year now and I cant remember the mixture.
    Does anyone know a good mixture at all?
    Noooooo! don't use linseed on it - for the reason in the last post - it encourages mould and doesn't provide any uv protection. The timber yard should know better.

Cheers
    Michael

hmmmm, but everyone tells me it works the best. I remember they said only to add a small amount like 1% to 5ltr's or somthing like that.

Linseed oil does offer fairly good protection against weathering eg swelling and cracking - but it always goes grey or black in UV light. Linseed oil contains Stearic acid which oxidises in the presence of water and celluose to form a grey opaque rubbery film which is chemically bonded to Lignim in the wood cells. Any proportion of linseed oil will go this color fairly fast in sunlight eg weeks.

If you want to preserve the merbua color I would suggest using one of the proprietry decking oils. These generally will keep some color for a few years in sunlight and are much easier to renew.

Doog

Quote Originally Posted by Vip View Post
    hmmmm, but everyone tells me it works the best. I remember they said only to add a small amount like 1% to 5ltr's or somthing like that.
    I didn't tell you People who know jackhsit told you. Here's one reference:
    http://www.outdoorstructures.com.au/pdf/shotedge.pdf

Cheers
    Michael