Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default $250 to get a decent table saw possible?

Hey guys
    Im in the market for a new table saw, Ive been using a gmc table saw for the last twelve months and its definetly time to upgrade.I do a fair bit of woodwork when not at school or playing footy and im looking for something thats pretty acurate the gmc was a "disgrace" all though it did serve me well as a first ts.Im just wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on what kind of ts i can get for around the $250 mark and whether i would just be waseting my money?
    Thanks guys much apreciated.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there are no new table saws for $250 worth having. I doubt you're going to find much worth owning second hand for that price either.

Save some money and look for a second hand contractor saw.

lol yeh it popped alright but thats ok thats why i asked, how mcuhwould it cost me to get a second hand contractors saw?
    thanks mate

G'day Gags,
    I reckon you might be urinating directly into the main weather direction there. ( i.e. p****ng in the wind).
    I don't think there are any accurate table saws around that price range.
    But all is not lost.....what work have you done on what model GMC table saw???
    I own one......all I can afford..........and my main problem is the storage space for all the jigs I need to get it to work accurately.
    Good thought that you want to upgrade....but I don't think that $250 is going to do it.

Gags, not $250 I know, but Ray153 has a Delta 36-600 10" saw for sale for $350.
    Have a look here:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=49472

Gags,
    Take on board what BigShed posted.....you aren't going to do better than that for the money.

Hey Watson in the picture was what i last used my gmc for I used it for the bar when i made it and in the back ground all the fence pailings i had to cut off about 10mm either side they werent quite straight it held up fine but had touble with the fence moving or is that just me?I also use it when im making odd bits of furniture. Im looking at upgrading my scms aswell if i get a good quality ts will mitred cuts produced on the ts be just as good as a scms or even better?then i might be able to spend more on the ts if im only buying one tool.
    thanks guys

Gags,

I agree with these guys, I have a 10 inch delta saw, which looks very similar to the one Ray 153 is selling on the forum. FWIW mine is now 4 years old and goes like the clappers, it has an induction motor, so is very quiet and efficient. Overall it is a brilliant little saw.

I would strongly recommend you look at his saw, and then also buy a couple of good quality blades. You may spend $100-150 more than what you want, but if you can afford it you should be a happy man. To raise funds could you ebay the GMC?

Good luck,

Felixe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gags_17 View Post
    Hey Watson in the picture was what I last used my gmc for I used it for the bar when i made it and in the back ground all the fence pailings i had to cut off about 10mm either side they werent quite straight i held up fine but had touble with the fence moving or is that just me?I also use it when im making odd bits of furniture. Im looking at upgrading my scms aswell if i get a good quality ts will mitred cuts be just as good as a scms or even better?then i might be able to spend more on the ts if im only buying one tool.
    thanks guys
    Gags, I only just saw this post.

I used to have a SCMS, but once i bought the table saw I also bought an incra se1000 mitre gauge/fence system (see woodpeckers or timbecon) I found no use for the SCMS. Incidently it "blew up" 1 month out of warranty and just after I got the TS. I have never bothered to replace it as I have found that my TS with the incra gauge is much more accurate in mitre cuts and compound mitre cuts.

Having said this, it is only my opinion based on my usage and others may still find a use for both.

Bye,

Felixe.

Quote Originally Posted by felixe View Post
    To raise funds could you ebay the GMC?
    Or keep it and turn it into a decent disk sander

Thanks for the link im working on mum and dad because there buying it for me and im having trouble justifying the money espeacially on a 10 yo saw not happy jan! But the mitred cuts on the table saw sounds like a good idea that would be very handy and save a bit of space.I dont know if id be able to ebay the saw because the switch is busted.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum View Post
    Or keep it and turn it into a decent disk sander
    Or a metal cutting saw! (Doh - here he goes again! ) - Al, brass, copper, HSS, regular tool steel, regular steel, sheet metal, tube, bar, angle, nuts and bolts washers, screws, and a partridge in a pear tree!

Hey I need to add "metal chips" to my sig.

LOL love your song bobL

Or !!.....
    In the interest of those woodworkers who have since departed the scene ( like Christiforo )
    we make cross cutting sleds and mitre sleds using the motor and the blade and table that we already have.
    I have a really cruddy GMC table saw..........but..........I can now cut very accurate mitres/90º /22.5º/15º/45º cuts......and do it without brain strain..........don't know what to advise you here.....'cos if I had a spare $350 I'd buy that Delta.
    BUT......every day I use this supposedly cruddy saw......and I can put a mitred box together that is spoofy......I can make mirror frames (10" wide) for the missus.
    So what the point is......Delta......Jet....Festool are all a mark above............, but again,
    if you set it up right..use the appropriate jigs.....its just a blade running through a slot.
    Now I'll wait for the incoming artillery.

Quote Originally Posted by Gags_17 View Post
    im having trouble justifying the money espeacially on a 10 yo saw not happy jan!cheers
    hmmm, it could seem daunting to outlay $350 on a 2nd hand saw, but if it is well maintained and you can get the run down on it, it is still a good buy.
    These saws are made to last, if the motor and bearings are good, a little wear and tear (loss of paint) means nothing.
    You may need to replace a drive belt, but a good second hand delta saw is still far better in quality and reliability than any $250 new saw you will buy anywhere else! .

I Recently paid $250 (around about) for a second hand carbatec 14 inch bandsaw and it is 8 years old, but other than a few nicks and scratches it goes like new, I just had to replace the guides - and I could not be happier!