Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: tiles or steel

Default tiles or steel

I need whole roof re-tiled. 1920's house near coast.Was going to use tiles but builder said why not colorbond, bit cheaper and stronger in case of hail etc.
    I think he's probably right and it would give more protection against summer storms.Council have now got in act and may insist on tiles cos of nearby heritage house.

Two questions : is metal roofing stronger against hail and
    if forced to use tiles which are stronger, clay or concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by magnet 12 View Post
    I need whole roof re-tiled. 1920's house near coast.Was going to use tiles but builder said why not colorbond, bit cheaper and stronger in case of hail etc.
    I think he's probably right and it would give more protection against summer storms.Council have now got in act and may insist on tiles cos of nearby heritage house.

Two questions : is metal roofing stronger against hail and
    if forced to use tiles which are stronger, clay or concrete.
    colorbond will last longer, specially if you are near the coast you specify the coastal option - forgot what its called but it on their site. CB is noisier and MUST have insulation blanket directly underneath to counteract this in rain. metal roofing simply cant fail under hail - might dint but wont fail.

Tiles - get what you pay for. The cheap concrete tiles on 90% of houses will only last 30 years before they need a restoration which then needs redoing every 6 or 7. My neighbour has clay with a high gloss grey finish on them, and they look brand new - been on for 10 yrs, but they wont be cheap. The terracotta ones seem to last a whole lot better than concrete for sure, but been as well colorbond only been around 25 yrs or so its hard to tell. My colorbond roof in a high wind location was installed in 1983 with ss fasteners, and is still in good condition , but I'm about to repaint to change the colour, and the paint finish has faded quite a bit - bit chalky.

Ultimately, concrete tiles, when they fade, they start to leak, when CB fades it doesnt effect performance - BTW we have no signs of rust anywhere at all (2km's from ocean - line of sight)

Magnet

Depending on how far you are from the coast BlueScope Steel have recommendations on what type of Colorbond to use. Here is what BlueScope recommend.

http://www.colorbond.com/index.cfm?o...4AAE16B48B1F64