Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finishing Porta Mouldings

G'day. I'm cringing already, but I have to ask this question!

I make picture frames for Madam's paintings, from recycled wood where possible. I also occasionally buy commercial mouldings for special projects. Over the course of several years, I've acquired several lengths of 'Porta' mouldings from various sources. Most of these have been thrust to the back of the pile, as I think that I can do better!

Now I have to eat humble pie. I had a small frame to make, in a hurry, and used a length of a small 'Porta' profile. I had to finish it in a hurry, so used the first thing that came to hand - Triton Oil.

To my surprise it came out looking good. I've seen the Triton 'burnishing' demonstrations, but that requires flat wood and a Random Orbital Sander. The mouldings I have aren't flat. I've been able to give them a fairly hard scrub up with a commercial scouring pad, and the results on my first try have been encouraging.

I would like to get a high gloss finish for another project, using the same moulding. I have the 'Bible', but it doesn't really cover how how one can rub a high gloss into a complex moulding.

So, how can I get a decent gloss into the many crevices of a commercial picture frame moulding?
    Growing old disgracefully...

hi johno,
    if they are only sml frames how about trying the dremel .
    they come with a small buffing pad & youcould also cut some scotch brite to fit as well. i wouldnt like to try it on a lge project but!
    seeyasoon mik.

Forget the oil and use shellac and wax. Much quicker and easier and won't dull off in a couple of weeks.

Ditto to Neils comments..

Thanks folks, the suggestions sound good. I hadn't thought about putting my Dremel to polishing. Bleeding obvious when you think about it!

Clean the frame up as much as possible with the Dremel, then shellac and wax. I can see the gloss already....
    Growing old disgracefully...