Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Diluting 'Prooftint'

Hi there
    As the title suggests, im after the best way to get a weaker colour stain from a bottle of Oak Prooftint. Is it terps, meths, etc???
    Im not really a great fan of buying accompanying product which is probably just re-labelled turps etc.... Thanks

Prooftint is alcohol/spirit based.

As you guessed feast watson do make their own thinner / reducer for the product which is about $10 for 250ml or 500ml (can't remember).

The product will mix with methylated spirits. I am not sure what the difference between the F/W reducer and plain old metho is - maybe just has some glycol in it to help ease application.

Superb thanks, i grabbed a bottle at mitre 10 last night and it diluted just perfectly. So i managed to get the level of colour right with a 3:1 mix of meths, however its a very slight bit on the brown side, it needs to be a touch more yellow to match a set of ikea drawer units which are supposed to be oak veneer. Question is, do i try to get another stain variant, or try to turn the prooftint mix i have a bit more yellow? is there a product/method for tinting stain? Ta

They make a yellow prooftint in the little 50ml bottles. Mix yellow prooftint in until you get the colour you need.

I'm not exactly sure, but from memory i think Prooftint in Cedar has a yellow color to it. You could try using a bit of this with your mix.

I've mixed different colors of Prooftint together successfully but unless accurate formula is kept, it will be diificult to replicate later.

Steven.

Thanks guys, for the record...
    1 part Oak PTint + 1 part Golden Teak PTiint + 1 part Meths on Tassie oak will get very very near to ikea oak veneer furniture. (might go to 2 parts Golden teak yet!)
    Jon