Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default whats your thoughts on yellowwood ?

Flindersia xanthoxyla (however you pronounce that)

its a rain forest tree around northern nsw etc.

Jake

Its good stuff. One of the most versatile timbers you will come across. Very stable, works well on both machine and hand tools, steam bends well. Used to be used a lot in coach building. Doesnt make a bad axe or adze handle.

So is it a bit like crows ash only lighter and without the greasiness problems? A while ago when I was working with some rock maple I was thinking it would be nice to have another blonde timber between silver ash and crows ash density that was a bit more maple-like in its heft. Maybe yellow wood is the one?

thanks rustynail.

Quote Originally Posted by mic-d View Post
    So is it a bit like crows ash only lighter and without the greasiness problems? A while ago when I was working with some rock maple I was thinking it would be nice to have another blonde timber between silver ash and crows ash density that was a bit more maple-like in its heft. Maybe yellow wood is the one?
    maybe. I've never worked it before. Just got a few bits. Just enough to make a couple of chairs.

but it does look a lot like the teak I have. But not as heavy.

There will be plenty of offcuts good enough for small parts (knobs, interesting glueups, small boxes etc) if anybody wants. I doubt I'll ever use it again. will just take up space playing on my mind everytime I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotripper View Post
    ............There will be plenty of offcuts good enough for small parts (knobs, interesting glueups, small boxes etc) if anybody wants. I doubt I'll ever use it again. will just take up space playing on my mind everytime I see it.
    Would love a piece big enough for an egg if you've got it Jake - would add nicely to the other 6 flindersias in my collection That would only leave 7 more to find
    Updated 8th of February 2024

size of an egg. Should be easy to post. I'll let you know when I'm finished with it. no doubt there will be a lot more left over than that.

Whats a flindersias ?

Its the genus of tree. Named after Matthew Flinders.

Quote Originally Posted by TTIT View Post
    Would love a piece big enough for an egg if you've got it Jake - would add nicely to the other 6 flindersias in my collection That would only leave 7 more to find
    I'm done with the yellow wood. Do you still want that bit ?

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

If it has the working properties of Silver ash Flindersia schottiana or Queensland maple Flindersia brayleyana it will be a dream to use. I'm certainly interested in it as I'm always on the look out for timbers with high contrast for my linear laminated turnings. I'm always on the lookout for blanks 50x50mm and veneers of light blonde timbers or very dark timbers and deep reds. Quite happy to pay for it & postage in 3 or 5kg post bags. Vern has first dibs of course if you have any spare.

Also known as Long Jack or Yellowwood Ash...Flindersia is a genus that contains quite a few really classy species...Qld Maple,Maple Silkwood,Silver Ash(Northern and Southern),Mountain Silkwood,Crow's Ash,Yellowwood,Scented Maple,Putts Pine(Silver Silkwood)...not many Genus have this many quality timber species..
    Mapleman

Quote Originally Posted by apricotripper View Post
    I'm done with the yellow wood. Do you still want that bit ?
    PM comin' at ya!
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyturns View Post
    If it has the working properties of Silver ash Flindersia schottiana or Queensland maple Flindersia brayleyana it will be a dream to use. I'm certainly interested in it as I'm always on the look out for timbers with high contrast for my linear laminated turnings. I'm always on the lookout for blanks 50x50mm and veneers of light blonde timbers or very dark timbers and deep reds. Quite happy to pay for it & postage in 3 or 5kg post bags. Vern has first dibs of course if you have any spare.
    sounds like theirs plenty. if you cover postage I don't mind doing that.

The only problem with the stuff are cracks that at first I thought where just surface, but actually run right through. Made it difficult for me to get anything out of it for a stool. But their arn't that many cracks that I won't get shorter lengths of 50x50mm etc.

I'll organise it all afterchristmas when I do my cleanup.

Thank you AT, will follow up with you in the new year. Have a great Christmas.

Default Thankyou AT

Well an express parcel arrived today with some yellow wood, hairy oak & an unknown? The yellow wood is very much like our silver ash in hardness, grain etc just a little darker. Its very interesting & will be a handy colour variation for my linear laminations. Sourcing a regular supply of this would be very handy.

Thankyou AT its been a pleasure to make your online acquaintance.

Cheers
    Mobyturns

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyturns View Post
    Well an express parcel arrived today with some yellow wood, hairy oak & an unknown? The yellow wood is very much like our silver ash in hardness, grain etc just a little darker. Its very interesting & will be a handy colour variation for my linear laminations. Sourcing a regular supply of this would be very handy.

Thankyou AT its been a pleasure to make your online acquaintance.

Cheers
    Mobyturns
    Glad to hear you have use for it. The unknowns white cedar....well, at least remember thinking to remind myself to put it in to make up the weight

The guy I got the yellowwood from lives out of Uki north of here a bit. He's got ruff sticks off it floating about in a shed....like 50x150x1500....stuff like that. but its checked. Can give contact details if you'd like but I don't think he'd send.

Jake