Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Elec/phone/water line locator

Can't find the post now I need it, but a member said they hired someone to come to their property and locate all elec and phone lines. Hired person used some sort of battery operated equipment I guess. Apparently also could have located water lines if required, by running some special substance through lines that his equipment could detect.

I need one of these people. What do they call themselves does anyone know? Does anyone know of one on the Sunshine Coast?
    Rusty

If you get in contact with your local electricity authority they will have or know someone that has a locator. I think they work a little like a metal detector but they pick up electro-magnetic fields. But then again I could be so far from correct it is not funny. However this is where I would start my search.

Pete
    If you are never in over your head how do you know how tall you are?

Phone, power and water authorities are all 'supposed' to provide you with accurate information as to where their services are burried. Yeah, right.

I don't think there was any perticular resoluton on who paid the bill when the info. they provided was wrong - as it usually is.

just dial 1100 "dial before you dig" give them the address details and your contact details then wait and receive from all utilities. However once you have this info it is still your ownus to acuratley locate the services.

Quote Originally Posted by bsrlee View Post
    Phone, power and water authorities are all 'supposed' to provide you with accurate information as to where their services are burried. Yeah, right.

I don't think there was any perticular resoluton on who paid the bill when the info. they provided was wrong - as it usually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    just dial 1100 "dial before you dig" give them the address details and your contact details then wait and receive from all utilities. However once you have this info it is still your ownus to acuratley locate the services.
    Yeah, but this is only to the boundry and even this is limited as it normally shows the nearest connection pit as your point of supply and the line from there is anyones guess.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

How about a shovel? 1100 info can be pretty sketchy.

Your local council should have a plumbing diagram of your house which should give you rough idea of water and sewerage.

Electricity should be close to a straight line from where it enters your boundary to your meter box.

Telephone line should be similar, just need to find where it enters the house.

Gas?

Sadly a lot of times this stuff isnt logical.
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

There is (was) a detector that incorporated a signal injector at one end and a detector to follow the line of the signal.
    The device used two coils and the operator had to set one coil either side of the signal and follow the line.
    For memory it was made by Aegis electronics, if they still exist.
    I remember that gas lines from the main to the house had a copper wire coiled around them for this purpose.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

You could try divining. Don't laugh - it works.

The last time I used 1100, which was also the first time. They duly sent me a map showing our phgone line. It took some following but I finally worked out they were within about 2 Km's. I kid you not.
    Boring signature time again!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What do they call themselves does anyone know?
    Look under Detectors -Eelectronic in the Yellow Pages. Costs about $130-$150 (about one hour) to locate electricity, phone and water lines.
    Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Did that all that comes back is up to the boundary/their connection point on the street nothing about on the block

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| |^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    | .....BIGGER ......._____| | ...BEER TRUCK.....| ||´|";,___.
    |_..._...__________/====|_..._..._______==|=||_|__|..., ] -
    "(@)´(@)"""´´" *|(@)(@) "(@)´(@)"""´´"*|(@)(@)****(@)

Quote Originally Posted by namtrak View Post
    ... Gas? ...
    Yep, those beans are a killer :eek:

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| |^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    | .....BIGGER ......._____| | ...BEER TRUCK.....| ||´|";,___.
    |_..._...__________/====|_..._..._______==|=||_|__|..., ] -
    "(@)´(@)"""´´" *|(@)(@) "(@)´(@)"""´´"*|(@)(@)****(@)

Thumbs down Ought to be easier!

This whole thread surprises me a bit. :confused: Thought OZ was more forward than that. Over here, when you plan a project you just call one of several utility locators who send someone out to your property and place small flags all along each line in back and front of the house right up to the door! Different colours for gas, electric, water, etc. No charge, as it is subsidized by the utility companies who reckon it's worth it not to have a service interruption.
    Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Can't find the post now I need it, but a member said they hired someone to come to their property and locate all elec and phone lines. Hired person used some sort of battery operated equipment I guess. Apparently also could have located water lines if required, by running some special substance through lines that his equipment could detect.

I need one of these people. What do they call themselves does anyone know? Does anyone know of one on the Sunshine Coast?
    Rusty,

You need Protec Cable Locations - they're at Nambour. I'll PM the details. They're ex Telstra guys and do a good job. I've used them with no complaints.

Keith

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Childress View Post
    This whole thread surprises me a bit. :confused: Thought OZ was more forward than that. Over here, when you plan a project you just call one of several utility locators who send someone out to your property and place small flags all along each line in back and front of the house right up to the door! Different colours for gas, electric, water, etc. No charge, as it is subsidized by the utility companies who reckon it's worth it not to have a service interruption.
    But we do, if there is any mineral, oil or other valuable claim these little flags pop up everywhere' along with a few tents.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.